Author Topic: About Avast home protection  (Read 15715 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: About Avast home protection
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:30 PM »
Set the shield levels to high for real-time protection
In fact not. Normal is the best balance between performance and protection. Normal is the default level.
The best things in life are free.

mevcit

« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 10:38:55 PM »
It doesn't decrease system performance noticeably (actually not at all on my systems) when the shields are set to high. Standard shield level is important for me actually. With normal level, it doesn't scan mp3 files for example. And this is a bad case for those who use peer to peer applications. I have some friends who gave up using avast! because of missing malicious mp3 files (which are detected by manual scan), even though i told them it was because of the level of the standard shield (p2p and im shields work with standard shield). And this lack of scanning some extensions isn't limited with mp3 files. ;) It's better to have an antivirus program that blocks malware in the first place.

This is up to user, though (depending on his/her usage purposes and system resources). Let her/him use with both normal and high settings, if s/he notices a performance impact on her/his system, then s/he can stick with normal level. But i don't think unless s/he has a old granny computer. ;D Btw, s/he asked for the best settings, which means "the highest settings" for most of the users who seem like novice asking so many basic questions. ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:45:22 PM by mevcit »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
It doesn't decrease system performance noticeably (actually not at all on my systems) when the shields are set to high. Standard shield level is important for me actually. With normal level, it doesn't scan mp3 files for example.

That's the problem not everyones' system is the same as yours, mine would probably give yours a run for its money and I see no need whatsoever to set the Standard Shield to High

You can modify the standard shield Scanner Advanced settings, adding the MP3 extension to those scanned by default, this will scan the MP3 files but not the other non-critical files. This will in effect set the standard shield to Custom, with less overhead but still scanning your mp3 files.

And this is a bad case for those who use peer to peer applications. I have some friends who gave up using avast! because of missing malicious mp3 files (which are detected by manual scan), even though i told them it was because of the level of the standard shield (p2p and im shields work with standard shield). And this lack of scanning some extensions isn't limited with mp3 files. ;) It's better to have an antivirus program that blocks malware in the first place.

Well depending if they are using a supported P2P application avast will scan the content. If the P2P application is half decent then you can also have it have avast scan the downloaded files, that is done by ashQuick.exe and not by the standard shield, so 'all' files are scanned.

If you have any other file types you want scanned in the standard shield then add them as I mentioned above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Defence

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »
I'm using Avast home 2 days, not yet detected any malicious, I hope everything is okey !  :-\

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2009, 06:41:16 PM »
I'm using Avast home 2 days, not yet detected any malicious, I hope everything is okey !  :-\

lol  ;D you seem surprised. May be you changed your surfing habits recently  :D

Defence

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »

Im surfing only safe websites  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2009, 07:19:06 PM »

Im surfing only safe websites  ;D

That is no longer a valid statement, as one of the most prolific methods of infection is from 'so called safe sites' that have been hacked ;D

You only have to browse the viruses and worms forums to see this.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security