Author Topic: Avast reccomends keeping virus in chest...  (Read 2633 times)

Tommo

Avast reccomends keeping virus in chest...
« on: August 04, 2009, 07:37:29 PM »
Hi,

I have a problem with my online banking it detects any Trojan horse virus  and shuts my account down.
Which is a good thing I guess however..I have informed them that I have an antivirus software and that it finds the Trojan viruses, but it recommends another software. I dont want to pay for another AV software as I think Avast is doin okay.

I though maybe it is to do with me keeping the viruses, that Avast has detected, in the chest and not deleting them.. shall I delete the virus that are in the chest ? Do you think this will help ?

Thank you..

Tommo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast reccomends keeping virus in chest...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:05:39 PM »
Do not pay for anything!
Rogue programs do this job of asking money!
Chest is safer than direct removing, as it allows further investigation. Files into Chest are safe to be kept.

To be sure you're clean, I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Clean your Hosts file (replacing it) with HostsMan tool.
7. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
8. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
9. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.