Author Topic: Crippleware or just bad design?  (Read 6633 times)

georgepds

Crippleware or just bad design?
« on: May 25, 2004, 11:05:28 AM »
I've been trying to use avast with little success. The problems are

1) every time it finds a virus it stops dead in its tracks
2) it takes forever to do a dep scan of mpeg files

What gives? AVG hads no problem getting through a scan, and not tripping over mpgs, or stopping at every little sign of trouble. Anyone figure out how to get around these glitches?

whocares

Re:Crippleware or just bad design?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 12:27:54 PM »
Hi,

please explain more clearly..

1) the PC freezes, or avast awaits a user/response ?
2) Why would you want to deep-scan mpegs at all ?
they can't presently be malicious..

try setting the scan options properly..

« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 12:29:22 PM by whocares »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 02:50:53 PM »
Crippleware  ??? for a program that has greater functionality and effectiveness than many of the paid for versions and the Home version is Free, this throw away comment is unwarranted.

whocares is totally right, we need more information in order to be able to help

I have the assumption that this is more likely to be down to the user settings, than any form of crippleware.

If AVG was so great why would you want to change? I used AVG for a long time and Avast, in the short time I have been using it, beats AVG hands down. On my first scan after installation (after reboot) it found two viruses that had lain dormant for months without dectection by AVG.

Speed wise Avast is easily as quick (on my machine) as AVG and I get better protection.

Speed Vs Efectiveness/Thoroughness is always a trade off, if I want to do a thorough scan, including archive files I do it when I will not be using the computer for a short time, not when I am waiting to do some work on it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Waldo

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:22:19 PM »
Maybe Avast is a little slower (on-demand) than AVG, but this is because it searches deeper than AVG will ever be able to do.

crippleware ? nope ! maybe in the very early versions there were some bugs, but there all fixed now for a long long time.

give us some more info man, otherwise the solution won't come.

Waldo

georgepds

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:50:30 PM »
"please explain more clearly..

"1) the PC freezes, or avast awaits a user/response ?

By freezes i mean it announces the virus, stops scanning,a nd awaits my instructions

"2) Why would you want to deep-scan mpegs at all ?
they can't presently be malicious..

I don't, no rational person would want to. i simply selected thourough scan, all hard disks,  and avast decided to do it on it's own

"try setting the scan options properly..

Ah... I would if I know how... any clue

TIA

--G

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 04:08:33 PM »
I would start by reading the Help file in the Avast directory or from windows Start, Programs, Avast, Help.

The type of files to be scanned/excluded can be adjusted/amended in the on-access Standard Shield (click on the Avast icon).

You can also change the degree of scan from the Start Avast Antivirus (right cilck avast icon on system tray). Once displayed you can a icon bottom left of window and set the sensitivity of the resident scanner.

But I would start with the help file.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 04:44:01 PM »
1) the PC freezes, or avast awaits a user/response?
By freezes i mean it announces the virus, stops scanning,a nd awaits my instructions

Only the Professional version could automatically take actions over virus detected.
In Home version you can only set 'Silent mode' and general answer 'No' (which send the file to Chest). See the 'Advanced' tab of the providers settings.

Try setting the scan options properly..
Ah... I would if I know how... any clue

On-demand scanning should be fine if you choose a thourough scan of all hard disks.
To set the on-access providers, better if you can read the help files a little before or ask more specific.

Hope this help. Wellcome to forums.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

georgepds

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 06:35:01 PM »
Thank you , it does clear it up.

"Only the Professional version could automatically take actions over virus detected", so the feature is not present in the home edition

"On-demand scanning should be fine if you choose a thourough scan of all hard disks." meaning that it was no mistake that it took forever to make its way through an mpg

I apologize for the blunt topic heading, but blunt though it may be the way avast-home worked is the way it is supposed to work, and not an error on my part.

1) In the case of what action to take when a virus is discovered, the feture I want is not available in the home edition ( cripple ware) .

2) In the case of  the long time to make its way thorugh an mpeg, that's the way it is supposed to work ( whether or not you'd call it bad design is the old is it a feature or a flaw)

That said I thank you for clarifying the problem

--G

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 08:02:52 PM »
1. Sorry, fellow, but as far as I know, the term crippleware is usually used for products whose limitation doesn't allow any reasonable usage. The number of satisfied avast! 4 Home users shows that it's not the case here. Of course, it is limited somehow - as you hopefully understand, the paid version has to include something more than the free one. The fact that the "silent mode" is just not enough for you doesn't mean you have to be rude.

2. For common usage, it's not necessary to use "thorough" scan. If you decide to use it anyway, you shouldn't be surprised that it takes longer. Besides, you can put your mpeg files into the list of exceptions... what's the problem?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:03:54 PM »
Hi,

One other suggestion, especially if your MPEG's are in a single folder (or limited number of folders) which you're certain contain nothing but the MPEG's.

Just add those folders to your Exclusion list (under Settings, on the main-interface menu).  I've got a large collection of JPG's which fall into the same non-infectable category, and even a Thorough scan will skip any Excluded folders.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2004, 03:47:33 AM »
Thanks Igor, I was just trying to help as usual...
Sometimes we do not receive a 'thank you' as we wish  :'(
The best things in life are free.