Author Topic: Problem with avast! 4 Mac  (Read 5900 times)

KayaDiabolin

Problem with avast! 4 Mac
« on: July 19, 2009, 03:32:29 AM »
Hi there

I bought a new Macbook Air on Thursday and then transmitted all my data to it from my old Macbook Air by time machine backup.
Since that day, I keep receiving the message from avast!  "the engine cannot launch, please try to re-install the program or contact the support".

After looking into this forum for help, I found the solution with copying the 400.vps file into the com.avast.MacAvast folder.
BUT: When I look into the com. etc-folder, the 400.vps is already there!!!
Still I did copy the file into the folder, but no success.
I have tried to delete the old 400.vps and replace them (on both places).
I have relaunched avast by the icon in the applications list and tried to launch it via the installation client...
HELP ME PLEASE, I am going nuts!!!

Edit: I did copy the file into the com.avast folder by using cmnd+c and cmnd+v - if this wasn't correct, I would appreciate if you told me the right way to do it  :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 03:47:09 AM by KayaDiabolin »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Problem with avast! 4 Mac
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:45 AM »
Is there a way to repair the installation?  I don't know, as I've never been able to use avast with a mac before.  Hopefully a mac user will be along with some good tips shortly.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Problem with avast! 4 Mac
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »
Hi there

I bought a new Macbook Air on Thursday and then transmitted all my data to it from my old Macbook Air by time machine backup.
Since that day, I keep receiving the message from avast!  "the engine cannot launch, please try to re-install the program or contact the support".

After looking into this forum for help, I found the solution with copying the 400.vps file into the com.avast.MacAvast folder.
BUT: When I look into the com. etc-folder, the 400.vps is already there!!!
Still I did copy the file into the folder, but no success.
I have tried to delete the old 400.vps and replace them (on both places).
I have relaunched avast by the icon in the applications list and tried to launch it via the installation client...
HELP ME PLEASE, I am going nuts!!!

Edit: I did copy the file into the com.avast folder by using cmnd+c and cmnd+v - if this wasn't correct, I would appreciate if you told me the right way to do it  :)

Hallo,
first, quit avast!, and delete the old 400.vps there (might be corrupted by that clipboard ctrl-c ctrl-v operation, who knows).
then, copy the "bulletproof" 400.vps from /Applications/avast!.app/Contents/Resources there (use drag-and-drop between two Finder windows, NOT clipboard).

then, try running Avast! it again.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)