Author Topic: E-card Scam, Malwre SPAM: ecard.zip  (Read 9009 times)

pete319

E-card Scam, Malwre SPAM: ecard.zip
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:23:57 AM »
Thought this may be of interest
For more details visit: http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?showtopic=21479

YoKenny

Re: E-card Scam, Malwre SPAM: ecard.zip
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 12:26:19 PM »
I never open any emails with E-cards in them as it is an old way to distribute malware!

FBI warns of E-card scam
Date: July 28, 2007
Source: webpronews.com

The FBI and the greeting card industry are warning people of fraudulent emails that claim to contain an electronic greeting card from an anonymous individual, such as a "friend" or "classmate."
http://www.crime-research.org/news/28.07.2007/2805

pete319

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 02:50:24 PM »
I never open any emails with E-cards in them as it is an old way to distribute malware!

A very valid point, but i have a wife who just does not care if she want's to open it she will, same with attachments. Guess there would be a lot of others out there do the same

Been lucky so far though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 03:24:26 PM »
This type of thing has been round for absolutely ages.

The only thing that changes it the bait on the end of the hook, hoping to catch some unwary fish on the hook. I got one in my email this morning and dealt with it using MailWasher Pro.

It isn't just don't open attachments, but click the links inside any unsolicited email, even if they look like they come from a friend, confirm, confirm, confirm. The form address is easy to fake and it as email addresses are harvested from an infected users system.

Perhaps your wife would care if she couldn't use the computer because of infection. I would also suggest changing her account to one of a limited user if security isn't something that she cares much about. This won't stop her/you getting infected, but it will limit the damage. You should also make her aware that it could mean that her friends get the same sort of emails from her if the system is infected.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

pete319

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »
This type of thing has been round for absolutely ages.

The only thing that changes it the bait on the end of the hook, hoping to catch some unwary fish on the hook. I got one in my email this morning and dealt with it using MailWasher Pro.

It isn't just don't open attachments, but click the links inside any unsolicited email, even if they look like they come from a friend, confirm, confirm, confirm. The form address is easy to fake and it as email addresses are harvested

Perhaps your wife would care if she couldn't use the computer because of infection. I would also suggest changing her account to one of a limited user if security isn't something that she cares much about. This won't stop her/you getting infected, but it will limit the damage. You should also make her aware that it could mean that her friends get the same sort of emails from her if the system is infected.

Hi DavidR
I will show this to my wife, so she does not think it is just me exaggerating, but i think she kinds of gets tunnel vision.

I also noticed in :users online your name shows up yellow now and noticed your title is  (avast! Überevangelist) so congrats are in order as  if my memory serves me well your name used to be in green and your title was avast! Evangelist

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:50:58 PM »
I've never used or open E-card for years behind the PC.............why I don't trust them.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v23.11.6090 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 05:06:28 PM »
<snip>
Hi DavidR
I will show this to my wife, so she does not think it is just me exaggerating, but i think she kinds of gets tunnel vision.

That was the general idea as it isn't until you lose control of your system that people start to consider it. You should have her look at the Viruses and Worms forum for Virut or Vitro infections, which have resulted in the greatest majority have ended up having to reformat and reinstall everything. You never know what the payload will be at the other end of one of these.

I also noticed in :users online your name shows up yellow now and noticed your title is  (avast! Überevangelist) so congrats are in order as  if my memory serves me well your name used to be in green and your title was avast! Evangelist

That has been that way for some time now, I think from 30,000 maybe earlier, you must have had a long break from the forums ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:39 PM »
Most of those supposed e-greeting notices get intercepted by my ISP's spam filter.  The ones where the link is to a site are iffy, but you can pretty well assume that any link to an EXE, ZIP, or the like is malware.

I was floored, some years back, to find that a big name like Hallmark hadn't gotten the word and was still sending EXEs to display legit cards, rather than providing you with an access code to enter at their site in order to see the card.  Hopefully they've gotten more internet-savvy since then.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 07:50:45 PM »
Yes mostly they get caught by my MailWasher Pro anti-spam, as I said in my earlier post it copes with more than just spam and I wouldn't be with it.

pete319

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:48 AM »
Thanks everyonr for your replys

DavidR  I have showed my wife, she said she be more careful in amongst all of her hissing.

Concerning your title,(avast! Überevangelist) i did say if my memory served me right (looks like it's shot). ;)

YoKenny

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »
Pete, your comment about your wife's reaction reminded me of a cartoon I saw about a sign on a big cardboard box at the bottom of a house's driveway.

For Sale
Complete set of Encyclopedias
Just married and wife knows everything

pete319

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 11:07:37 AM »
Pete, your comment about your wife's reaction reminded me of a cartoon I saw about a sign on a big cardboard box at the bottom of a house's driveway.

For Sale
Complete set of Encyclopedias
Just married and wife knows everything

Good one YoKenny ;D
If i showed that i would be wearing the Encyclopedias