Author Topic: Vista does not recognize AVAST  (Read 4616 times)

sonyajon

Vista does not recognize AVAST
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:36 PM »
In my system tray, Vista is not seeing AVAST Home 4.8 edition. This just started. Vista is asking me to find an a AntiVirus program. Any ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Vista does not recognize AVAST
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:53:34 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

The Security Center can at time be a bit flaky, answer the above questions first and we will see where to go next.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sonyajon

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
ashDisp is running in the Task Manager

Have never had any other AntiVirus on this machine except for AVAST

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 08:43:45 PM »
There are 5 avast processes running in the image, so you are saying you only have that one, if so the security center is correct avast isn't running.

If you click on the avast 'a' icon (ashDisp.exe in the task manager) do you get any errors, I suspect you do, if so what are they ?

So this system didn't come pre-installed with an AV (which is common on some systems) ?

Do you have any other security software installed, anti-virus, registry protection, etc. ?

Did you install this from an account with Administrator privileges and did you jump through any Vista UAC hoops ?

It may be that your installation is corrupt, so a clean reinstall might be best:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.
Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sonyajon

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 09:07:44 PM »
The following tasks are running

ashDISP
ashMaiSV
ashServ
ashWebSV
aswUpdSv

I did not see any erros when clicking on ashDISP

This was a clean install of Vista and then I loaded AVAST after Vista was loaded so no other ANTIVIRUS was on the machine.

I am just using the Windows Firewall and AVAST, no other stuff

I am the Admin on the machine and has no hoops with the UAC

I will try and re-load and un-install per the instructions

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 09:53:25 PM »
Then all the normal processes are running and it is the windows security center that is having a fit.

Try this, whilst it migh seem daunting, take is a step at a time and if needs be ask questions:
* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop wscsvc
net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt
net start wscsvc

EXIT
Reboot

sonyajon

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 10:30:37 PM »
Missed your last post because I was un-installing and re-installing per your instructions. All is re-installed and running smootly. I guess a file must has gotten corrupted

Thanks for your help

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 10:56:45 PM »
No problem, glad I could (try to) help.

Welcome to the forums.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 11:01:23 PM by DavidR »