Author Topic: EMACHINES  (Read 3348 times)

hines232

EMACHINES
« on: July 26, 2009, 07:03:21 PM »
 :'( Did a search on emachines, lot's of info., Except what I would like to know is, What actually is the difference between an emachine and a regular PS. My PC is now 9 Years and OSME (Which I am really going to miss.) Wallybirdmart has on sale an emachine for just a few bucks !

1gh mem.
160 gb hd
Reads and wrights cd's
OS (?) Just says Windows.
 Should I or should I not !!!???   ;D

Pedro Hin

Re: EMACHINES
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »
An EMachine IS a PC. Emachine is famous for using lower cost components when they build them. The PC is becoming a simple appliance in many homes, and EMachines realizes there is a market for that.

Just consider the warranty period on it. If you will not shed any tears when it dies in 3-4 years, I say go ahead.

hines232

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the good info.Pedro Hin, Wise decision !!.

normishmael

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 03:29:45 AM »
My first machine was a second hand emachine,512 Ram,Windows ME,and I do not remember the HD size.
Needless to say,as a new user,I DOGGED that computer.
It just kept going.
Loaded down with all the software and process's I could cram on it,It limped gallantly on.
When I gave it away,it was still plugging along.
It took me years ,and two,"higher end" machines, to see what an old trooper I had.

Kind of like a soviet T-34 tank,no bells,no whistle,but it worked.

hines232

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:25:10 PM »
My first machine was a second hand emachine,512 Ram,Windows ME,and I do not remember the HD size.
Needless to say,as a new user,I DOGGED that computer.
It just kept going.
Loaded down with all the software and process's I could cram on it,It limped gallantly on.
When I gave it away,it was still plugging along.
It took me years ,and two,"higher end" machines, to see what an old trooper I had.

Kind of like a soviet T-34 tank,no bells,no whistle,but it worked.
Well, That's about the way I feel right now. But it will crash pretty soon now, and I need a computer for by banking and other things. (hate to write checks and buy stamps) I will miss the OSME.

tls

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 03:19:32 AM »
I still have my old emachines pc, bought in 1999 with ME, and it is still working.  One of my friends recently purchased an emachines package at "Wallybirdmart" for his kids to use for homework, research, etc.  It came with WinXP.  EL 1300G-02w was the number on the box.  It included a monitor.  (They also had one without a monitor, which came with Vista home basic.)  So far, they are pleased with it; we'll have to wait and see whether it lasts as long as mine has.

I don't know all the particulars, only that there were those two options; and the part of the box with the number on it is temporarily under one leg of a work table next to my computer desk.

(edit:  added last sentence)

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:50:47 PM by t l s »