Author Topic: Avast 5.0 License Key Questions?  (Read 33705 times)

Jack 1000

Avast 5.0 License Key Questions?
« on: July 27, 2009, 12:21:15 AM »
To Avast Support Staff,

Of what is known so far about Avast 5, if users upgrade from their existing 4.8 version, following the prompts, will they have to re-enter their license keys?, or will this carry over? (Along with the amount of time left in their subscriptions.) when they update?

FYI I have Avast 4.8-Home.

Regards,

Jack

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast 5.0 License Key Questions?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
I can't recall but I believe you will need to download the full program installation and reinstall avast rather than use the in-system Program Update.

That may mean having to re-enter your registration key again.

I wouldn't worry too much right now as the beta build hasn't been released yet and when notified in the forums we will have a better idea of how this is to be installed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:48:59 PM »
So David u mean the Beta will got a lot bug ? For sure i would like to try the Avast! 5 Home Beta but in my desktop computer so im worried if i should lol. Because i got a lot file and if its destroy my computer i would be very mad :-\

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 04:23:35 PM »
I haven't the slightest idea, as the Beta hasn't even been released. There are some using the Technology Preview that isn't a beta and I'm not using it.

I haven't got a clue where you come up with this assumption that the beta has a lot of bugs from my post. If it hasn't even been released how can anyone say if it has bugs.

You shouldn't use Beta software especially security based ones if you don't have a) a test system to run it on or b) accept the risk that beta software can have bugs, that is what beta 'testing' is all about and c) have a robust back-up and recovery strategy to recover your system.

So this is no different to a real world use of your system if you have files that are important to you, then back them up or be prepared at some point in time that you could lose them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jack 1000

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 07:57:40 AM »
I still like to grant a grace period of about 4-6 months before upgrading after first release.  This is to make sure that compatibility issues are addressed, bugs are killed, and to gage the importance of community input.

I have great confidence that Avast 5 will be a wonderful product!  I'm sure that 4.8 will be around easily for another 5 months after Avast 5 comes out.  I do agree that I generally would not use a Beta release for a security product, unless I had a system that was "test only" where the data on it was not critical.

Jack

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »
Coupla things to keep in mind.

It is highly unlikely that the license key/registration process for avast! 4.X will be carried over to 5.X, so the same key may not even work.

4.8 will continue to be available alongside 5.X for a while. There'll be no need to change to 5.X on critical machines until you really have to.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:12:12 PM »
I still like to grant a grace period of about 4-6 months before upgrading after first release.  This is to make sure that compatibility issues are addressed, bugs are killed, and to gage the importance of community input.

You aren't forced to update at all, the Program updates are set to Ask (Notification of an updates availability) and not Auto like the VPS updates, so the timing is entirely in your hands. avast 5.0 won't be a forced update as it may require a clean install, details of what is required exactly will become clearer as I said in Reply #1.

I have great confidence that Avast 5 will be a wonderful product!  I'm sure that 4.8 will be around easily for another 5 months after Avast 5 comes out.  I do agree that I generally would not use a Beta release for a security product, unless I had a system that was "test only" where the data on it was not critical.

avast 4.8 will be around for some time as that is the only version that will support older OSes as 5.0 doesn't support win9x/ME.

IDTPJules

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
My guess is v5.0 will be well received by the growing army of avasters. We will definitely be running the 'beta' version release on our machines. Happy days!

ex_t1n7o

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 05:34:38 AM »
Please!

I'm getting really crazy!!! :'( WHERE I put the license key in Avast! 5.0.259 ??? Could you put a pic?

Thanks!

pinnacle

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 05:39:49 AM »
Here is part of vlk's post today regarding this,    BTW the Free AV registration process doesn't work at this moment; it's not a problem with the program itself - it's a problem with the registration server (which is currently offline). It should start working soon though (as soon as one of the guys responsible for it fixes the problem).

Thanks
Vlk           found in refresh topic today, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52535.0

zron

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 05:51:30 AM »
Good Evening ! I think when the final release date for Avast 5 (Beta 3) arrives then hopefully it will recognize it's license key. Meaning I updated Avast 5 to the latest version, but in registering it stated it was for Avast 4.8 not Avast 5 (Beta 3). And in registering it asks you to click on the blue ball icon, that was the big tipoff. I sent an e-mail to support, and hopefully their will be some clarification. And another issue, when I clicked on the new Internet Security beta, it forwarded me to Avast Professional advert promoting Xmas pricing...again a bit unusual. I am interested in the Suite hopefully the price point will be in the $39.95 too $49.95 range. Just throwing the pricing out their to see if any Alwil Sales and Mrktg types are taking notice. With Avira, Sunbelt's Vipre Suites ready to be introduced along with G-Data's all in the New Year, it's a banner year for the Security Consumer. Sincerely...Zron

ex_t1n7o

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 05:55:07 AM »
Thanks for fast replayed!  ;)

Maybe if we downgrade to 4X put the key, and update again?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 06:03:47 AM by ex_t1n7o »