Author Topic: Is Hijack This obsolete?  (Read 2640 times)

yawetag

Is Hijack This obsolete?
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:12:45 AM »
I've been reading some posts on here that say Hijack This is no longer very useful. Is this true and what should I use instead?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 04:17:11 AM by yawetag »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: Is Hijack This obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 12:14:47 PM »
 I would say it was not updated often but, it was still useful. Detects a lot of hijacked settings.

ComboFix would probably be the counterpart of HJT but ComboFix is pretty complicated.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is Hijack This obsolete?
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:54:07 PM »
First I don't believe this tool should be use in isolation and I tend to have someone run MBAM and SAS first as they are likely to remove some of what may otherwise be reported by (or even hidden from) HiJackThis. Having run those I would say HJT is likely to be more accurate.

There are some that say you shouldn't run other tools first but run HJT to try and get a handle on what might be wrong, some of those same people are now saying that HJT is not as effective, which kind of makes the point for first running other tools.

Because HJT it isn't actively being developed since being bought out by Trend Micro, some malware will be able to hide from it, so it may well lose some of its use. However, it is still of use and a handy early step as that program doesn't make any changes, just reports what it finds to be running.

If after running it there is apparently nothing untoward yet you still have malware style symptoms it is time to get out the bigger tools.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security