Author Topic: IE and Outlook Express won't run  (Read 3437 times)

azism

IE and Outlook Express won't run
« on: November 28, 2009, 07:02:07 PM »
I am using Avast 4.8 Pro. I cannot get either IE8 or Outlook Express to execute. With IE8, the Avast Script dialog box pops up and then disappears and the IE8 stops trying to start, With Outlook Express, I am told that MSOE.DLL won't run. Are either or both of these errors somehow connected to Avast 4.8?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: IE and Outlook Express won't run
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:15:14 PM »
Please post the full text of the errors ?

The avast Script Blocker has a pop-up splash screen when it starts, I believe that you can switch that off.

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow ashWebSv.exe and ashMaiSv.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and do a check for email and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.

avast doesn't block but scans and alerts to infection, if a file appears to be blocked, it is likely to be some conflict, usually a previous AV or security application which also has similar functions.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

What other security based software do you have installed ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gizmo555

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:52:29 PM »
Got the same problem - does it with Firefox as well.
If you kill iexplore in task manager and start it again then sometimes it works
You have to kill all attempted execusions of iexplore in task manager before you stand any chance of getting one going.

Turning the splash screen off for the script blocker allows it to work every time

This is a bug introduced with the Avast upgrade I had today

CHeers

Mark

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »
Have you done as suggested on the firewall question above as this is the most likely cause firewall blocking of changed components after an update.

I honestly don't see how switching off the splash screen would make a blind bit of difference as the underlying avast script blocking provider would still be running.

I also don't see how stopping internet explorer iexplore.exe would make any difference if this were anything to do with avast and certainly no way would that effect firefox. So I don't really know what might be going on with your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

silvertones

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:06:48 PM »
Works fine for me.
PC Tools Firewall Plus through up a popup after the update and asked if I still trust Avast and I said sure. That was it.
Great Firewall and it's totally free. No gimmicks.

Gizmo555

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 01:43:02 AM »
Using windows firewall and avast is listed as an exception.

Trust me if I turn off the splash screen then all is well time after time. If I turn it on then IE or Firefox often don't connect.
This happens repeatably so I'm confident this is the root cause.

It will be interesting if others reporting the same problem have the same solution.

All was well until todays upgrade. I use IE and Firefox without issue until todays update.
Nothing has changed on my Firewall.

Besides this this is an excellent package

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:19:12 AM »
What version of windows are you using ?
XP's firewall provides zero outbound protection.

I didn't say I didn't trust what you said that simply the splash screen has no relevance as it isn't part of the protection, just a happy coincidence.

The avast Script Blocker only works with three browsers and firefox isn't one of them, so it shouldn't have any impact in that regard.