Author Topic: Disable Norton 2004 AV  (Read 3038 times)

bpugsley

Disable Norton 2004 AV
« on: May 26, 2004, 05:52:27 AM »
Norton Auto Protect seems to be slowing down an Embroidery Program Startup that my Wife is using on her computer.  She is running Norton Systemworks 2004.

I would like to Disable Norton AV and instal AVAST home on her system and have her use it  for a week or so to see if the problem is solved.  If not I would want to re enable Norton AV, and search some more.

My question is what would be the best way to disable the Norton AV?  

I thought of using MSCONFIG or stopping the Norton Services from the Control panel.

I would appreciate suggestions as to what might be the best approach.

Thanks,

Ben

whocares

Re:Disable Norton 2004 AV
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 11:06:03 AM »

I would like to Disable Norton AV and instal AVAST home on her system  

I thought of using MSCONFIG or stopping the Norton Services from the Control panel.

Hi,

Msconfig & Services: in principle, a good idea ;)

However:

- NORTON AV seriously messes up the PC and often makes it impossible for other AVs to run without crashes if any traces of it are left.
- avast AV-Shield will check if NortonAV-Services are present in the registry and disable itself then (hopefully, otherwise your PC might crash).
Avast checking on startup if the Norton-AV-service is running would be pointless, as NAV could start later and then crash (the Services Load order is pretty random in Win)
Vlk could elucidate this..
 :)

Don't you have the installation CD/files & registration #/key of Norton ?

it'd be best if you completely remove any traces of Norton/Symantec (at LEAST of Norton-AV) from disk & registry, if you want to install avast

;)

CharleyO

Re:Disable Norton 2004 AV
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 06:40:06 AM »

It would be best to completely uninstall Norton AV as it does not "play well" with any other av program.    :(  

Even using it's uninstall program will not completely remove it from your computer.    >:(   You will need to do a Regedit ... or if you are not comfortable doing that ... use a Registry cleaning tool.    :)