Author Topic: How long can we use the v4.8 of avast!Home after the 5.0 released?  (Read 10686 times)

rodneyxp2002

How long can we use the v4.8 of avast!Home after the 5.0 released?

My mother's computer is using avast!Home 4.8.
It's a hard work for her to install a computer software.I have to stay at another city more than half a year,so that I can't help her update the v4.8 into v5.0 ( or install the v5.0 )when the v5.0 released this October.
So I want to know how long can my mother use the v4.8 of avast!Home and how long will be the virus database of v4.8 provided after the 5.0 released ?
My English is not very good,I don't know weather I express myself exactly.

Thanks very much!

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
Re: How long can we use the v4.8 of avast!Home after the 5.0 released?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
I think until the end of this year.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:57:20 PM by mathboyx215 »
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 04:55:17 PM »
Hi there!

Please take a look at Vlk's post:
I can also confirm that avast version 5.0 requires Windows 2000 and higher. Sorry for that, but there are many (and I mean many) technical reasons why we had to make this decision. The latest OSes (such as Win7) are so much different from the original Win95/98/ME that supporting both would basically force us to create two different avasts.

Can you tell me how long then Avast 4.8 will be available for users of the 98 system?

I am not promising anything but my understanding is that avast 4.8 will be supported (i.e. daily definition updates will be released) at least till mid-2010. But again, this is an unofficial, unconfirmed information.

Win98 still has many users.

It really depends on your definition of many.
This is the chart from the computers that have updating avast definitions during the last 7 days (roughly 350 million update attempts) -- see below.

As you can see, Windows 95/98/ME together make up ~ 0.54% of our userbase. Of course, this is still some 400+ thousand people, but it's simply not possible to justify the costs associated with the development of a Win9x version because of a half percent of our community.

I'm sorry... but I'm afraid it's time to move on and upgrade.

Cheers
Vlk

regards
onlysomeone

rodneyxp2002

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
Hi there!

Please take a look at Vlk's post:
I can also confirm that avast version 5.0 requires Windows 2000 and higher. Sorry for that, but there are many (and I mean many) technical reasons why we had to make this decision. The latest OSes (such as Win7) are so much different from the original Win95/98/ME that supporting both would basically force us to create two different avasts.

Can you tell me how long then Avast 4.8 will be available for users of the 98 system?

I am not promising anything but my understanding is that avast 4.8 will be supported (i.e. daily definition updates will be released) at least till mid-2010. But again, this is an unofficial, unconfirmed information.

Win98 still has many users.

It really depends on your definition of many.
This is the chart from the computers that have updating avast definitions during the last 7 days (roughly 350 million update attempts) -- see below.

As you can see, Windows 95/98/ME together make up ~ 0.54% of our userbase. Of course, this is still some 400+ thousand people, but it's simply not possible to justify the costs associated with the development of a Win9x version because of a half percent of our community.

I'm sorry... but I'm afraid it's time to move on and upgrade.

Cheers
Vlk

regards
onlysomeone
I see,thanks for your help!

snowflake

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
From what this  thread says, having just taken ON Avast 4 Home ON a Windows 98SE computer , do I understand that, from next year  Avast4Home is withdrawn ; I suppose fore-warned is fore-armed but it seems sad for those of us who DO use  the 98SE version to be pushed OUT of using it safely on line

personal choice seems to be  being  abolished  >:(

onlysomeone

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 07:21:29 PM »
I think that it has been a hard decition for Alwil to drop support of old OS, but the decition has been made... :-\

But possibly you decide to get a new Computer/OS somewhen in this time...

There already has been some discussions on this forum about this...
One is also running in this thread I think: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47027.0

kind regards
onlysomeone

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 07:58:41 PM »
From what this  thread says, having just taken ON Avast 4 Home ON a Windows 98SE computer , do I understand that, from next year  Avast4Home is withdrawn ; I suppose fore-warned is fore-armed but it seems sad for those of us who DO use  the 98SE version to be pushed OUT of using it safely on line

personal choice seems to be  being  abolished  >:(

There has been no firm official decision on that other than support for win9x/ME will continue to the end of the year. What happens after that isn't decided and I guess won't be until closer to that time. There have been two personal (not official) comments that they believe at least VPS update support for 4.8 may continue for a while after that, but nothing 'official.'

So really it is time for you to do some forward planing of your own.
1. find if there are any other AVs (with resident protection) which will still support win9x/ME.
2. find a means of a robust back-up and recovery system, so that should the worst happen you have backed-up important data files and implement a recovery strategy that can put your system back to what it was before a catastrophe (be that malware infection or otherwise).
3. start looking for a replacement OS/system whilst you have the time.

Personal choice is a wonderful thing and if you wish to continue to use win98 in light of all that is going on, that is your personal choice. There is less and less software support for win9x/ME so you are limited in the browsers you can use also and that also means security holes which have been closed by security updates, which aren't available to you either.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mike Buxton

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »
Hi snowflake,

I use W98SE, and I can and will continue to use for it decades to come. My printer and scanner are eleven years old and still in A1 working order; however, even when they fail it will be at worst a minor inconvenience.

My advice is dual boot with a later version of Windows as well (not instead). Get used to it gradually if you wish, otherwise just use it for emails and Internet services (that would take only a few hours to setup and become proficient).

I have chosen Xubuntu, a free Linux program, and I dual boot with W98SE. That was quite a learning curve (though enjoyable) and everything works perfectly (except it cannot use my ancient scanner so I scan from W98SE). The free program Wine allows me to use a dozen or so of my favourite W98SE programs from within Xubuntu. (I have even managed to configure Wine to use XP (which I don't have) on a particular program - but most Windows programs do not run well (or at all) using Wine.

You can even load at least one Linux program from within W98SE and switch between them instantaneously [I tried it - I think it was Damn Small Linux (DSL)].

So, you have many first class choices that may suit you almost perfectly and require very little effort or experience. Linux is almost Malware-free but I still use a software firewall, a much later and safer version of Firefox than was available on W98SE, and the Linux version of Avast (Debian version on Xubuntu) which with broadband takes about 6 minutes daily to update and do a full on demand scan of my Xubuntu Home directory.

There will be readers who think me insane but that is their problem, not mine. It is a pity that Avast will cease for W98 users but I would only give thanks for my recent use of their excellent Home program and wish them continuing success with v5 onwards.

My regards

Addendum re Corrections:

Above I incorrectly refer to Xubuntu and Damn Small Linux as programs whereas they are actually Operating Systems (Thanks to scythe944 for pointing this out in his Reply # 9 below).

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 10:27:36 AM by Mike Buxton »

Jack 1000

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 06:26:55 AM »
Hi snowflake,

I use W98SE, and I can and will continue to use for it decades to come. My printer and scanner are eleven years old and still in A1 working order; however, even when they fail it will be at worst a minor inconvenience.

My advice is dual boot with a later version of Windows as well (not instead). Get used to it gradually if you wish, otherwise just use it for emails and Internet services (that would take only a few hours to setup and become proficient).

I have chosen Xubuntu, a free Linux program, and I dual boot with W98SE. That was quite a learning curve (though enjoyable) and everything works perfectly (except it cannot use my ancient scanner so I scan from W98SE). The free program Wine allows me to use a dozen or so of my favorite W98SE programs from within Xubuntu. (I have even managed to configure Wine to use XP (which I don't have) on a particular program - but most Windows programs do not run well (or at all) using Wine.

You can even load at least one Linux program from within W98SE and switch between them instantaneously [I tried it - I think it was Damn Small Linux (DSL)].

So, you have many first class choices that may suit you almost perfectly and require very little effort or experience. Linux is almost Malware-free but I still use a software firewall, a much later and safer version of Firefox than was available on W98SE, and the Linux version of Avast (Debian version on Xubuntu) which with broadband takes about 6 minutes daily to update and do a full on demand scan of my Xubuntu Home directory.

There will be readers who think me insane but that is their problem, not mine. It is a pity that Avast will cease for W98 users but I would only give thanks for my recent use of their excellent Home program and wish them continuing success with v5 onwards.

My regards

Hi Mike,

Great post and insight.  I understand that a few years ago C-Net published a study and found that their were about 30 MILLION Windows 98 users still out there!  I have Windows XP and still have Office 97, with all the free MS converter updates, and I did also get a Word 2003 update disk because I was having trouble before that, getting some things on-line.  My concerns are MS insane prices for the products that they offer.  When I was back in college, I didn't know about the cost passed on to the customer and I went to the bookstore to look at whatever version of Office was out at the time, and when I saw the $400 price I almost died!  I mean, I cannot understand the average home user paying $400 for a Word Processing Program!  I know about the other programs like Outlook, Excel, and Power Point, but all I ever used was Word, so when I found out that WordPerfect you could get for less than half the cost of Word, I was very happy.  $400 for writing college papers and letters to grandma is a little extreme.

That was years ago and I was trained on Windows 98 at my college and it did what I needed it to do.  There is one big problem with Windows 98, and that is lack of security.  The very old versions of the operating systems, programs like Outlook 97/2000, would not be good for e-mail today because they don't have the security issues that are needed.

Today's market almost requires:

1.) A reasonably recent OS
2.) Running of Windows Update
3.) The importance of a good AV program
4.) The use of a Firewall
5.) The care of never opening any suspicious files or e-mails.
6.) Early warning prevention against spam, spyware, phishing, and virus threats BEFORE you get to the site.  (I am a huge fan of the McAfee Site Advisor plug in.)  NOT their AV!!!  Too bloated!!  Avast is still the very best AV program!

If security was not the concern that it is today and Windows 98 would be supported with 1-5, Windows 98 would probably still be fine for 60% of most computer users.  But you can't combat the problems of computer security with Windows 98.  That's the problem.

As a side-note, does anyone know if the McAfee Site Advisor plug in works in Windows 98?

Jack
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 11:05:10 AM by Jack 1000 »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 08:15:55 AM »
I have chosen Xubuntu, a free Linux program

Please, I mean no disrespect, but Xubuntu is not a "program", it's an operating system (OS).  I just don't want people to think that they can "install" it like firefox or microsoft office.

Furthermore, I LOVE ubuntu, but I prefer Kubuntu.  Doesn't really matter though, because they all exist because we (as a people) have a choice, your choice is just as good as mine.  That's the beauty of open source!

Cheers!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

busp1

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 12:29:56 PM »
I have come to terms with the coming change to avast 5.

Step1, disconnect all win 95/98/ME computers from the internet.
Step2, setup flash drive as "My document transfer folder".
Step3, use XP computer to scan flash drive with avast there by keeping it clean.
Step4, "My document transfer folder" on flash drive as a way to move docs/files for 98/ME computers.
Step5, install Clamware AV on 98/ME computers, run scan manually.
Step6, using Linux live CD, connect 98/ME computers back on-line to surf net, disconnect after surfing.
Step7, setup win98/ME LAN for printing and file sharing via their own hub.
Step8, enjoy increase in speed of 98/ME computers due to not having to run "on access scanner"

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 11:51:41 PM »
Can I ask that when the time does indeed come when the support for 98/ME drops will there be a pop up message to inform us that the inevitable has occurred?

Or will a blanket email be sent out?

Many thanks
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 12:44:22 AM »
I would have though it would be announced on the avast web site that 4.8 is no longer supported. It would probably also be on the blog and most certainly in the forums.

I somehow doubt there would be any blanked emailing as there are over 100 million users (more by the time that time comes) currently and your registration details don't contain what OS you are using.

I don't know if the iNews function is capable of selectively only displaying on your system if you are using an OS than can't support 5.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 01:04:19 AM »
Thanks DavidR,

I do hope to have someone build me a new computer with Windows 7 as soon as the support has gone, would you say Avast 5 will work fine with this system?

Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 01:09:36 AM »
Well I have neither the avast 5.0 beta or win7 so I can't say, but there are many that are using win7 and the beta and aside from typical bug in beta trials it appears to be working fine with win7. I have no doubt by release time 5.0 will be fine with win7 as it will be essential to continue the work of 4.8 which is win7 compatible.