Author Topic: WebShield blocks browsing  (Read 24983 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Re: WebShield blocks browsing
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2009, 02:29:49 AM »
General advice for 'Netizens'

Evaluate the reliability of quoted sources.
Consider attitude and demeanour.
Weigh the arguments carefully.

Someone "fishing" for a fight? Ignore the "bait".

Remember: Wise judgement is its own reward.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

CharleyO

« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2009, 02:58:14 AM »

Good advice, Vladimyr.   :)

Besides, the posting reminds me too much of an old forum nemesis with a new name.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2009, 06:10:44 AM »
Nevertheless, I have to wonder why Zeke (aka pewterbot9) feels the need to brag in his personal blog:

Arguing with dim-witted "advisers" on avast anti-virus's message board.  Talk about "disinformation".

Only to see that this poster who apparently knows so much better than any in this forum about firewalls and anti-virus programs then reports next in his blog ...

Resolved my dialup modem problems, after four days of not being able to connect.  Yay!

I think that even we "dim-witted" advisers might have helped him to get his modem going in less than 4 days. 

By the way Zeke, next time I am in my old neighborhood (I lived for years at 17th and Sanchez) I will stop by the Church Street Cafe and ask for you.  Maybe we can chat.

csiga00

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2009, 12:03:03 AM »
Hey guys,

greetings from Hungary, keep up the good work! I have always liked Avast AV and recommended to others as well, but now I have some problem related to this topic.

I have installed a fresh Windows XP SP3 and Sunbelt Kerio firewall on my pc and of course, avast as antivirus software. I can't remember when webshield started to block (yeah I know it doesn't block anything, but read it further please... ;)) http traffic, because due to this problem I've tried to re-/uninstall kerio and avast several times and I don't know what was the original installation order at the beginning (maybe avast was installed before kerio), but nothing helped (I also allowed ashWebSv.exe in- and outgoing traffic on all ports in kerio).
Now I removed kerio (I didn't have any idea) and made a fresh install of avast (with avast uninstall utility), but browsing is still blocked.

Let me summarize things and provide more information to clarify things:

So...I have had Online Armor and Kerio installed on my pc (not the same time of course) and after I choose Kerio I installed avast. Webshield (or something else) started blocking browsing (can't remember when and why, or if it was ever working or not, because I did so many install/reinstall after experienced the problem) and after that Kerio "rule" for ashWebSv.exe didn't help, I uninstalled Kerio and Avast and made a fresh install of Avast. Now I only have windows firewall and Avast free on my computer, and even if I turn off windows firewall, avast webshield "blocks" browsing, i.e if I terminate this provider, everything works fine. Because you say that some firewall should block traffic (or ashWebSv.exe) I don't have any idea what to do now, because I uninstalled all the firewalls I had before and turned off windows firewall to check, if webshield is working or not. It is not...any idea?

I use firefox and firefox proxy settings could't help either.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Please feel free to ask if I messed up things and can't make out what happened :)

Best regards,

Csiga
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 07:44:20 PM by csiga00 »

Sammo

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »
I regularly have the reoccurring problem of WebShield blocking my browsers as well (see attached graphic). It will happen on all browsers  and doesn't matter which firewall or their settings. I've complained about this a number of times in the past. Is anyone at avast looking into this stuff? Is version 5 going to be any better?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:21:43 AM by Sammo »