Author Topic: BART as in Bart Lagerweij ?  (Read 28536 times)

djhack

BART as in Bart Lagerweij ?
« on: June 11, 2003, 08:53:49 PM »
at first I didn't catch on , I saw that BART CD thing and though it must be an eltorito image that boot dos and the dos version (which would be nice to have btw)

I knew BART's way of making bootables cds for a long time and use it everyday

this week I've been working a lot on my all-purposes cd that I use do to well .. everything (I work in a computer shop)

last night I noticed Bart's PE Builder but it was already gone ,  I didn't made the link between this and BART CD yet

then I download BART CD and then I realised hey this is exactly the kind of thing Bart's PE Builder is supposed to do

are they related ? have you used bart's PE Builder of is this somekind of freakish coincidence ?

Pavel Baudis

Re:BART as in Bart Lagerweij ?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 09:18:46 PM »
are they related ? have you used bart's PE Builder of is this somekind of freakish coincidence ?
No, they are not related in any way -just the coincidence. We have worked hard on this for last 6 months and we have introduced it on the Infosec show in London. Just after the return, we have found the PE Builder reference on the net. We didn't hear about it before, nor contacted its author in any way. The name BART poped out from the product description itself: Bootable Antivirus and Recovey Tool...

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2003, 06:19:13 PM »
Bart's PE Builder but it was already gone

It's gone because it was quite a hack and MS "kindly asked" Bart to remove it. They said it was this whole project was "not compatible" with the WinXP Eula.

avast! BART CD is a totally different thing in the sense that it's perfectly legal. We have a contract with MS so that we can legally ship it (and of course, pay MS some money for it ;))..

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

big_gie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 03:33:30 AM »
haha I just found out what BART meant and I was sure it was for Bart Lagerweij!!! :)

I tough it was a Windows PE built from Bart's PE builder :)

Now (well since some month!) it is now fully accessible LEGALY.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2004, 01:33:05 PM »
Legally... yes, well maybe. First, even with Bart's PEBuilder, you need to own a dedicated WinXP license to build the bootable CD from...

Next, you need to assemble all the stuff yourself (it's more or less like a box of bricks) - in contrary to avast BART CD where you have all the pieces assembled automatically... Next, Bart's PeBuilder comes with no technical support which is IMHO quite important for such a tool...

Overall, we believe that for commercial-grade users / computer professionals, our BART CD, despite its price, is still a very good deal.

And with version 2 (coming soon), it's going to be even better.

Vlk

Fr33k

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:42:17 AM »
Legally... yes, well maybe. First, even with Bart's PEBuilder, you need to own a dedicated WinXP license to build the bootable CD from...

Next, you need to assemble all the stuff yourself (it's more or less like a box of bricks) - in contrary to avast BART CD where you have all the pieces assembled automatically... Next, Bart's PeBuilder comes with no technical support which is IMHO quite important for such a tool...

Vlk

While this is true, all of my other favorite vendors offer plugins for the Bart's Pebuilder as part of the purchase price of thier product. For example, GetBack data recovery.
Now I have all my critical software on one CD except Avast. To get Avast I now need to purchase a seperate CD which costs more than all the other software combined for a one year license. This does not make much business sense for me.
I'm a big Avast fan and it's frustrating not being able to include them on a recovery CD.

Pavel Baudis

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 09:18:54 AM »
While this is true, all of my other favorite vendors offer plugins for the Bart's Pebuilder as part of the purchase price of thier product. For example, GetBack data recovery.
Now I have all my critical software on one CD except Avast. To get Avast I now need to purchase a seperate CD which costs more than all the other software combined for a one year license. This does not make much business sense for me.
I'm a big Avast fan and it's frustrating not being able to include them on a recovery CD.

While this might be true  ;), please note that the antivirus on the recovery CD is a very special program. With all other tools you just burn the CD and it could last "forever". There is no need to update Recovery tool or any other stuff. avast! BART CD is very unique in its method how to conveniently generate the up to date antivirus on the ISO image - incrementaly and automaticaly. I do not know any other product which is able to do this!

Pavel

Fr33k

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 09:27:30 AM »

There is no need to update Recovery tool or any other stuff.
Pavel

I update Ad-Aware and McAfee Stinger each time I burn a new CD (both companies provide plugins for the cd.)

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 10:01:13 PM »
Bart's PE Builder but it was already gone

avast! BART CD is a totally different thing in the sense that it's perfectly legal. We have a contract with MS so that we can legally ship it (and of course, pay MS some money for it ;))..

Hope this helps,
Vlk

Hi,

ok, and why you give home users the BART CD components without the WinPE, for free or little nice price?
Without WinPE you don't have to pay money to MS and so you can give us (the home users) the BARD CD tools (not WinPE, without WinPE!) cheaper or for free.
And we can use Bart PE Builder to create a BootCD and integrate the BART CD tools into that BootCD as Plugin or so.
So home user can use BARD CD, too and professionals or firms have to buy BART CD for full price..(with WinPE..)

Why you can't do that or why you give home user a chance to use it?

Thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

w0mbat

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 05:09:39 AM »
The whole foundation for the BART CD IS WinPE.
Without it, many of the features would just not work.

BART is only available in 2 flavours.
Serviceman and Administrator.
There is no 'free' version of BART at all.

I can't see the benifit to ALWIL to make a completely free version using a diferent backend, can you?

If you wish to the bart PE builder (which is completely removed from the ALWIL product) you must have a licenced version of MSXP to create it from and can only have either XP or bartPE running at one time or you violate MS copyright.

This is why BART costs $$. You are in effect purchasing another full XP licence, and AVAST Pro as well as whole bunch of other great tools that have an easy to use update feature.

Trial downloads of BART that anyone can download can be applied for here.
Code: [Select]
http://www.avast.com/eng/products/desktop_protection/avast_bart_cd/avast_bart_cd_downlo.html
Hope you all ae enjoying your weekends

w0mbat

iNsuRRecTiON

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 08:19:44 PM »
Ok, but I want the tools from the BART CD v2 for my privat use.

I have Windows XP Pro and licensed and so I can use Bart PE Creator.

And I want to put the tools from the BART CD v2 to an Windows PE Boot CD created with Bart PE Creator, because I don't want to pay again..

And the tools from the BART CD v2 will work correct with WinPE created with Bart PE Creator.

I want only use this created CD if my computer don't start, because Virus infection or what ever and so it is legal!

So I ask again, there is a free home Version of avast! 4.1, why I can't use the tools from the BARD CD v2 without the included WinPE for free or a special little prive!???

thx and best regards,

iNsuRRecTiON

Smorg

Re: BART as in Bart Lagerweij ?
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:18:02 AM »
I think that is a very valid point insurrection... What we really want is an avast pluggin for bartpe, since home users already own their winxp instilation and would simply be using this for recovery purposes.

There is already an avast! virus cleaner pluggin, but theres currently no way to run the full-fledged avast antivirus, or run any of the avast bart cd tools, minus avast's bart cd, within the bartpe itself.

Sorry this is getting a bit offtopic since bartpe is totally unrelated to avast bart cd, which btw I think is absolutly hilarious... But I really love avast av, Integrating it into a recovery tool like bartpe would be truly amazing!

lol i thought that avast bart cd was avast's tools built from bartpe until i read this thread!  ;D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
Re: BART as in Bart Lagerweij ?
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 09:13:39 AM »
This is a very old thread (almost three years) so most things said here are not valid anymore...

Anyway, I'd suggest reading a recent discussion here: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=128914

Thanks
Vlk