Author Topic: Cannot Recommend AVAST ATM  (Read 12499 times)

wabbyt

Cannot Recommend AVAST ATM
« on: July 29, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
 >:(

Well i guess you just confirmed it once again.
I was hoping that it was not so but......

SINCE THIS NEXT VERSION WILL NOT BE 100% 64bit DEVELOPED, I WILL NOT USE AVAST.

I was sure hoping after this amount of time, you were closer to a 100% 64 bit version and not a emu64 version or just parts.

I may check back in a year or two but as it stands.....
I CANT RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANYONE BEING AS INCOMPLETE AS IT IS WHILE OTHER 64bit VERSIONS ARE COMPLETED NOW, WITH JUST AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER ON RESOURCE MANAGING.

Appears you are more concerned with getting money now and not when the product is completed.
Or offering useless gui requests etc...

It is the 64 CORE capabilities that is needed

You started out good for a 32 bit version but have fallen far behind.

The percentage of 64 O/S out there is now greater then 32 and if that isn't motivation to complete your product instead of worrying on how to get more money (well there are just too many of those people already scheming how to hook more $$$ out of people), then you are no better then any other ponsie scheme permeating the globe.

SORRY .. MY VERSION IS BEING REMOVED IN FAVOR OF A COMPLETED 100% 64 bit VERSION

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Cannot Recommend AVAST ATM
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
With all respect, you seem to be another victim of the 64-bit propaganda. I suppose you haven't really evaluated the performance implications of the 32-bit vs. 64-bit mode (on both the hardware and OS level) and other things that would let you decide what are the pros and cons of all the possible solutions (purely 32-bit, hybrid, purely 64-bit etc.).

I believe that you, as a customer, should be more concerned whether:

1. the product does what it's supposed to do (e.g. in case of avast, keep you virus-free)
2. the product doesn't interfere with any other product, or have any noticeable performance implications.

With all that said, I'm not denying we're working on a fully 64-bit version of avast. But frankly, it's fairly low on our to-do list, as we have done the evaluations, and we know that the outcome will bring almost no benefits to the users like you. It's just fact.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

onlysomeone

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:00:45 AM »
Hi Vlk!

Do you also have statistics about how many avast!-users have 64bit OS?
In the statistic you posted here is no separation of 32 and 64bit OS...

kind regards
onlysomeone

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:55 AM »
Yes, we do.
This is the data from the last 7 days, based on (roughly) 500 million update requests.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
with or without all respect - doing a job to make some money is just normal, when you aren't a charity :P... and it is up to you, how do you want to spend your money, when the only difference between 32b and 64b version would be your good feeling, not the protection of your PC..

onlysomeone

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 11:25:34 AM »
Thanks Vlk!

Hmm...
IA64 is Intel Technologie,
AMD64 is from AMD/ATI,
32bit is also clear,
but what is UNK? can anyone explain please? :) (google has no explanation for me this time...)

thankfully,
onlysomeone

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »

Itanium, to be more specific. Only used by big servers.

AMD64 is from AMD/ATI,

AMD64 is now in both AMD and Intel chips. It's basically the 64-bit architecture we're talking about here.

but what is UNK? can anyone explain please? :) (google has no explanation for me this time...)

LOL. UNK stands for "Unknown", i.e. avast wasn't able (for some reason) to determine whether the system is 32-bit or 64-bit. :)

onlysomeone

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 11:42:34 AM »

Itanium, to be more specific. Only used by big servers.

AMD64 is from AMD/ATI,

AMD64 is now in both AMD and Intel chips. It's basically the 64-bit architecture we're talking about here.

LOL. UNK stands for "Unknown", i.e. avast wasn't able (for some reason) to determine whether the system is 32-bit or 64-bit. :)

Oh, okay ;D
Thanks again!

cinchez

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »
Hmmp!

Whats up with wabbyt?(Respect?)

If u will not a certain product, then just dont!

U dnt have to say it aloud to everyone you know...

If u want a support for ur 64b system, then just request it nicely, is there a request that is given roughly? ::)

-AnimeLover^^

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 02:54:39 PM »
 There are about 7 antiviruses that support 64x 64 bit environment as of 2007. Don't know which is which for now.
 Majority wins.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 04:33:51 PM by .: L' arc :. »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
There are about 7 antiviruses that support 64x environment as of 2007. Don't know which is which for now.
 Majority wins.

Supporting 64bit OS and being a natively 64bit application are different (as Vlk mentions) and I doubt there are to many of those on the market (possibly server/enterprise versions) and certainly at a price premium.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 04:32:15 PM »
 Yeah right. Sorry, it should be 64 bit. Not 64x.

So far, I hope I didn't make mistake with the link for 64 bit thingamajigs.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

wabbyt

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 07:54:25 PM »
wow, some of you missed the point here.

Your claim of over 500 million users should tell you something if they are mostly x86 users. You are missing a whole lot of people considering you are measuring your metrics world wide. 500 million is very small using world metrics.

Some also pointed out as of 2007 the number of fully 100% x64 available, need I remind you we have already passed the half way mark and are into the third quarter of 2009. (2 years ago stats is not acceptable)

I will AGREE that your product has some great potential to take a larger share of the world market, but as you said you are not interested in DEV a fully 100% 64bit architecture atm to move forward, especially with this falls lineup of O/S architecture releases.

Some have mentioned that perhaps this is not a nice way to ask/request. If you have read all the posts, it is clear and as stated again in this post, that there is no interest at this time to DEV a full 64bit version. Need i remind you that it is just this very method that has forced developers into providing the wants and needs of its customers without resting on its backside and taking us for granted. WE do have a voice and I suggest you and I and everyone else use it occasionally.

As for providing against viruses and protection etc, umm, another reminder here, so does about 130 other products out in the market place. Some are better while others are not so good.

YES, I would like to stay with this product, but already I have seen one 64bit code virus missed while Trend/Symantec/MS caught it. But this happens to all major vendors, one time Trend may miss and Symantec(shudder) catches it, just a reminder again that 64 is here and should be dealt with ASAP.

FINALLY, this A/V is a business venture, and like any other business venture, we as a consumer have the final say of a product and if the business doesn't want to heed a customers advice or request (legit or not) then said business does so at its own demise.

Offline Maxx_original

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
you should know, that 64bit malware samples can be easily detected with current 32bit engine, there's no correlation between 64bit engine and 64bit samples... i still think that you're missing the point of real protection capabilities and the coolness of being fully 64bit...

and some numbers - in fact there are millons of 32bit malware samples, but only dozens of 64bit malware samples..

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »
All I can say is that it works on my 64bit windows 7 system with no problem - I'm a happy camper  ;D