Author Topic: new to avast - warning messages and stops  (Read 2872 times)

davecropp

new to avast - warning messages and stops
« on: July 29, 2009, 09:50:55 PM »
Hi I'm new to avast and this has probably been answered many times before. I'm sat doing a scan. When a virus is found it warns me and stops waiting for me to tell it what to do. How do I set it to continue a full scan without me being there?
I'm coming here from AVG (let me down) but I dont want to sit here all day!

Thanks in advance

onlysomeone

Re: new to avast - warning messages and stops
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
Hi davecropp!

Do you use the Home or the Professional version of avast!?

In avast! Home the only way I know to stop this messages is to tick the "don't show this window again..." when the first window appears...
In avast! Pro you have more possibilities to set what avast! should do when a virus is detected.

kind regards
onlysomeone

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 10:05:56 PM »
 Hi davecropp,

I'll add a little to what has already been said by onlysomeone

It is not possible in the home version because there have to be some things that attract people to the paid version, the developers don't work for free  :)

A way of getting around this would be to put the eicar test file at the beginning of the drive, and naming it with a number first i.e.: 0-eicar....
This will ensure that it will be detected first.
You can then click to 'not show this again' and 'continue'.
This will cause the results to be produced at the end of the scan and from there you can decide on what to do.

Another thing - Very important
Have you used the AVG removal tool yet?
http://www.avg.com/download-tools

Hope this helps,

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:14:53 PM »
These automated options are only available in the Pro version. This is a limitation of the Home (free) version that it has interactive input requirement, there have to be differences in the Home/Pro version and this is one of them, the programmers have to eat ;D

In the Home version you can check the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. This way, no action will be taken and you will given the results at the end of the scan (and you can perform actions from there). Over time this will become less of an issue, as the resident, on-access scanners are designed to intercept infection before it gets into your system.

- There was one suggestion to place something like the eicar virus test file at the start of the first drive to be scanned in a file like ~a-eicar.com that should soon be detected and you can do the option "Don't show this window again" when the first virus warning appears, select the "No action" button. So you should have a list of files waiting your action.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

davecropp

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 12:16:35 PM »
Thanks for all your help.
Will put it into practice and see how we go.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 03:34:36 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security