Author Topic: Please help Avast 4.8  (Read 12192 times)

JOHN786

Please help Avast 4.8
« on: July 30, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
I have Avast 4.8 when I do a through scan, it wont complete, the scaning freezes up at 32%. I had to press Ctrl Alt Delete and end task the scan, I also reinstalled it and still no luck.. I did a boot scan and it didn’t show any problems. For some reason in safe mode it works fine but in normal mode it freeze at 32 %.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Please help Avast 4.8
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 04:59:16 PM »
Do you use ZoneAlarm?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=38353.msg321609#msg321609

How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt
The best things in life are free.

JOHN786

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 05:12:33 PM »
no I dont use zone alaram and I believe it happensat the same place/folder of the scan.

I have of HijackThis v1.99.1

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:18:02 PM by JOHN786 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 05:28:58 PM »
So, which is the latest file being scanned?

JOHN786

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 05:37:55 PM »
I dont know right now I am at work, the odd thing is in safe mode Avast scan work just fine

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 03:10:57 AM »
Try disabling Spyware Doctor before your next scan, see if that makes a difference.

Mid winter Antarctica...could be getting a bit cold. Maybe it's freezing up. ;D
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

JOHN786

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 04:14:58 PM »
Try disabling Spyware Doctor before your next scan, see if that makes a difference.

Mid winter Antarctica...could be getting a bit cold. Maybe it's freezing up. ;D
lol  ;D

whats the diffrence between system recovery and system restore.

I have an odd feeling their is virus hidding some here in my computer, the scan freeze at

C:\windows\pchealthcrt\systemom\scripts

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:21:21 PM »
whats the diffrence between system recovery and system restore.
System Recovery is applied, generally, to machine return to the manufacturer situation or, less intensive, recover from Windows CD.
System Restore is a Windows feature that can in some situations revert the computer to an old (presumably stable) situation.

JOHN786

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 04:23:18 PM »
this morning I did System Recovery  ( by accident)what do now will I lose all my music, pic etc

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »
this morning I did System Recovery  ( by accident)what do now will I lose all my music, pic etc
Well... if you did it exactly, yes, you'll lose your data... Does this option come before you boot Windows or you're on Windows and then choose it?

JOHN786

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 04:39:43 PM »
Well... if you did it exactly, yes, you'll lose your data... Does this option come before you boot Windows or you're on Windows and then choose it?
it was  before it boots, I pressed F10, when it was runing System recovery, I unplugged the computer ( had feel that I did somthing wrong) now the computer wont boot

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 04:45:15 PM »
it was  before it boots, I pressed F10, when it was runing System recovery, I unplugged the computer ( had feel that I did somthing wrong) now the computer wont boot
Bad movement...
You've stopped in the middle of a restauration.
Can you invoke it again (F10) and let it finish? At least you'll have your Windows back... you'll lose your files.
If you can't, you'll have to use Windows CD/DVD and try to repair from them. You you don't have them... well... you're in trouble in Antarctica...

JOHN786

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »
Bad movement...
You've stopped in the middle of a restauration.
Can you invoke it again (F10) and let it finish? At least you'll have your Windows back... you'll lose your files.
If you can't, you'll have to use Windows CD/DVD and try to repair from them. You you don't have them... well... you're in trouble in Antarctica...

I will give it shot, I need to delete so many files ( junk) movies, pic, etc

nancy Threlflal

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
I need help my avast will not work It has a circle with a red minis sign in it. and my printer will not work I have to reinstall it every time I restart my cp. I tried to register my numbers, but it would not take all the numbers  I was given. So not sure it is even activated.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 09:36:17 PM »
- Please start a New Topic of your own as this seems unrelated to the original subject (plus it is in the wrong forum) and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help. 
- Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the avast! 4.x Home/Pro forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security