Author Topic: Where is Avast!5 Beta? It's July 31st..  (Read 49127 times)

yakouWY

Re: Where is Avast!5 Beta? It's July 31st..
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2009, 01:05:43 PM »
Avira AntiVir 9 VS Avast! 5,who is the winner?I'm look forward to their's showdown ;D
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:34:40 PM by Shun-sheng Lee »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2009, 01:30:02 PM »
AntiVi* 9 VS Avast! 5,who is the winner?I look forward to their's showdown ;D

Avast for the win. Even with Avast 4.xx free vx Avira 9.xx free. Avira lacks some of the most crucial defenses especially, protection when you're in the wwweb.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

yakouWY

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2009, 01:40:38 PM »
For example,the page protection and internet protection? ???
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 01:42:42 PM by Shun-sheng Lee »

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »
For example,the page protection and internet protection? ???

Yes, Avira miss them on the free version.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2009, 12:28:05 AM »
I can't believe how people are "chopping at the bit" and simply can't wait for version 5!!...  ::) .... as opposed to those who are the ½ to 1 percent of 98/ME users who probably wish it would NEVER come AT ALL ...  :-[ ... I say to those who have nothing to do but continually ask when it will be available... patience is a virtue you know... and I would add that you'll be just fine with Version 4 for little while longer...  ;D ... so while everyone else acts like life is going to end if version 5 isn't available yesterday my message to the AVAST DEVELOPERS is TAKE YOUR TIME!!  ;) ... and I would add... THANK YOU AVAST for supporting WIN98 for as long as you have... I know it's an old O.S. but it still works great for me and I like the added flexibility in some respect that I have with it for what it's worth... I for one will be sad to see Version 4 go...  :'(
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2009, 12:47:36 AM »
Those people using win98/me need to upgrade their OS. Those OS's are over 10 years old and dated.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

cinchez

« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2009, 11:00:48 AM »
Feel sorry for the Win98 users though....

avast! continues to update definitions for version 4.8 for about a year or so...

I dunno the details but I hope Version 5 would be compatible with the said OS...even though Vlk said that its not gonna be and its final...I hope they'll change their mind...^^ ;D

-AnimeLover^^

onlysomeone

« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »

avast! continues to update definitions for version 4.8 for about a year or so...

I dunno the details but I hope Version 5 would be compatible with the said OS...even though Vlk said that its not gonna be and its final...I hope they'll change their mind...^^ ;D

-AnimeLover^^

This already was discussed many times, but I again only can tell you that you should be happy that Alwil decided like they did...

If they would keep support for these OS we would miss new features and speed increasements which are only possible on new OS...
Avast! would constantly get bader compared to its competitors which don't have to pay attention to make all functions work under Win 98...

It is like it is and it is like it should be. So be happy and rejoice at the new features avast! 5 delivers! ;)

kind regards
onlysomeone

stormer

« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
Will all the versions have free trails (i.e. on the Final Stable release)?

Is there any information, about the download file sizes of each version?

Thanks.

onlysomeone

« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2009, 11:33:11 AM »
Will all the versions have free trails (i.e. on the Final Stable release)?

Is there any information, about the download file sizes of each version?

Thanks.

I think that there will be trial versions of all three products... possibly again 60 days or something like this...

I could imagine that the antivirus will be about 40 to 50 MBs - but thats just what I expect ;)

kind regards
onlysomeone

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2009, 07:33:45 PM »

-AnimeLover^^

This already was discussed many times, but I again only can tell you that you should be happy that Alwil decided like they did...

If they would keep support for these OS we would miss new features and speed increasements which are only possible on new OS...
Avast! would constantly get bader compared to its competitors which don't have to pay attention to make all functions work under Win 98...

It is like it is and it is like it should be. So be happy and rejoice at the new features avast! 5 delivers! ;)

kind regards
onlysomeone

It would seem to me that any software developer can continue to keep an old version like in the case of Avast-4 available and have a "limited" virus data base update available on a minimal server basis with the disclaimer that certain new virus protection signatures may not be available if this were the case as well as certain limitations impacted by the legacy systems. I think WIN98/ME users would be perfectly satisfied with this approach in the knowledge that the last version of Avast-4 would remain static and unsupported beyond the limited AVS updating that would continue to be available on a minimal server left for this purpose.

Avast would not have to be concerned with any new features or applications but just simply make the old version available to users with the whatever limited AVS data base signatures that could still be made available.  Users would simply need to agree to and sign a statement that it is understood that protection would not be "state of the art" and potentially subject to some vulnerabilities inherit in using the older Avast-4 version that would no longer receive program updates but just AVS updates limited to the older Avast-4 version.  The Avast developers would not have much added work it would seem since program updates would not be done so the only attention needed would be to supply the more "limited" AVS data base for the older Avast-4 version. And there would be relatively so few users that all that would be needed would be a very "cheap" server or possibly a "hook" in the AVS data base software application that could redirect to the "limited" AVS data base perhaps. From a user with admittedly limited knowledge of a lot of the technological aspects it does seem to me to be potentially feasible with very little cost overhead as I describe it.

Just food for thought...  ;D
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

anothermack

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2009, 08:36:06 PM »
5 beta, where are you?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
There is a closed beta1 testing going on, it isn't fully functional or as stable as would normally be associated with avast betas but this really is a major step away from version 4.8.

So it really isn't ready for open beta testing yet, when it is they will announce it in the avast forums, so calling out where is it really isn't going to bring it closer. It will be announced and released when Alwil believe it is ready, so continue to monitor the forums for announcement.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:02 AM »
Are you kidding?

I lie awake awaiting the announcement that it is ready. ;)
printed on 100% recycled bytes

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2009, 12:25:19 AM »
Why would I be kidding, it serves no one to release a beta early. Beta testing security software carries risk. However, we have been spoilt in the past with the stability of the avast betas and should really only be installed on test systems or be prepared to have to completely recover your system from any possible security issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security