Author Topic: What is AVG doing?  (Read 3696 times)

Plaza525

What is AVG doing?
« on: July 31, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »
I recently switched to Avast! Home edition and I'm pleased so far. I ran a full scan with avast and I cleaned out my computer (thanks). However, the AVG resident shield keeps detecting and removing what I think are tracking cookies that Avast! doesn't pick up. If AVG is detecting them, are they harmful to my computer or is AVG being a little over the top here? I also have an anti-spyware tool called Spyware Doctor, which I find runs great. I run an Intelli-scan every now and then to make sure there isn't any spyware. Any suggestions as to what might be causing AVG to detect these cookies (and how to get rid of them) and why Avast! is not detecting them?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: What is AVG doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:13:07 PM »
Having two resident scanners installed is not recommended as rather than provide twice the protection it can cause conflicts that could leave you more vulnerable.

So you need to make your choice and uninstall AVG ;D

Cookies - pah, a waste of time and avast doesn't check for cookies.

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 11:00:49 PM »
exactly, detecting tracking cookies is not a priority for a security software; if you're concerned, do the cleaning yourself (or run CCleaner)  ;)

Plaza525

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:17:43 PM »
Alright. Anyone know what the AVG removal tool link is? I think Avast! is great, although the alarm does tend to scare the daylights out of me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 11:19:40 PM »
AVG Remover can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:20:25 PM »
why don't you simply uninstall it with the Win interface?...AVG is unlikely to leave anything disturbing on your machine once removed...

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 11:36:28 PM »
why don't you simply uninstall it with the Win interface?...AVG is unlikely to leave anything disturbing on your machine once removed...
Actually, in my experience of reading about folk with this installed, usually the reverse is true.
AVG can (and does) leave a lot behind.
Uninstall from the control panel first, for sure.
Uninstall components (like the linkscanner, the firewall,) if they remain, from the control panel if the entry is there, or from the browser add-on menu.
Then run the tool.
Running it can do no harm. On the other hand, it may do a fair bit of good.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 11:41:53 PM »
Since AVG version 8 it seems that there are many occurrences of the normal uninstall not removing everything.

That is why we generally 'also' suggest running the removal tool after a conventional uninstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security