Author Topic: Explorer.exe tries to connect to Verisign when i run flashplayer installer  (Read 5227 times)

arturo82

Hi.  :)  I went to adobe site because i wanted to upgrade flashplayer for Mozilla Firefox, mine was old. Ok then, i downladed the file " install_flash_player.exe " and closed firefox to install later the update.

Well, when i run  install_flash_player.exe then Zonealarm (free version) alert me that explorer.exe (the authentic one..) wants to connect to ip 199.7.52.190 port 80. Then like 15 seconds later appears the windows's window saying if i want to execute the file (see screenshot attached).

Then i went to a site wich tells you where Ip addresee are from, it says it is from Verisign, in fact  it says it is from crl.verisign.net

Questions: Is this normal? What is this connection for? , why explorer.exe?  what happens if i allow the connection?  :-\ :-\

Hope you can help me to get answers. I attached a screenshot.
Thanks in advance.

Arturo.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:06:00 AM by arturo82 »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Hello arturo82

This is infact normal.

explorer connects to verify the certificate of the installer. it connects to the certificate provider using which the installer is certified. after that you "may" see a windows pops up to ask whether you want to run or execute the file. nothing to worry.

edit : i know a image is posted. i cant see your image. instead of putting it in imageshack, while posting, you can choose additional options and select the file to be uploaded. foot note : if use printscreen and paint to save the file, do not save using .png extension, it takes more memory. instead use jpeg.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 08:11:58 AM by nmb »

arturo82

Hello arturo82

This is infact normal.

explorer connects to verify the certificate of the installer. it connects to the certificate provider using which the installer is certified. after that you "may" see a windows pops up to ask whether you want to run or execute the file. nothing to worry.

edit : i know a image is posted. i cant see your image. instead of putting it in imageshack, while posting, you can choose additional options and select the file to be uploaded. foot note : if use printscreen and paint to save the file, do not save using .png extension, it takes more memory. instead use jpeg.

Why u cant see the image i posted?  ??? is there a problem with imageshack and this forum?  ???

Well, im gonna post the link to the image then:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4599/flashagosto2009raro3.jpg

i hope u can see it now  :).

Thank you.  :)

Ps: I couldnt find the "upload" option u mention on the posting options :S
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:11:15 AM by arturo82 »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
its not the matter of link. even now i cant see. just see this :http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=help;page=post#additional

spg SCOTT

I can see the image, I think it may be something on your end nmb...

To attach to a post, click on additional options when posting:

The main point is that your problem is solved though :)

arturo82

good thing imageshack is working well. Thank you nmb for reply.

By the way, anyone else could please tell me more information about why explorer.exe connects to verisign?
and what happens if i deny the connection?

and if i allow the connection, will it ask again if i open again the file again?  :-\
i mean, i've opened several .exe files in my life (like everyone else here), but this is the first time i see that opening a file (in this case flashplayer installer for firefox " install_flash_player.exe ") makes explorer.exe to connect to verisign.  :-\

Thank you, and sorry if im annoying anyone for this, im just trying to learn as much as possible.

Arturo.
 :)

Please comment!  :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:16:07 PM by arturo82 »