Author Topic: What to do after scan?  (Read 3881 times)

zephyrs

What to do after scan?
« on: May 26, 2004, 01:00:23 PM »
Hi!    I am new to using Avast.  I ran a full scan yesterday.    The first virus I was alerted of, I tried deleting but it refused.    So I clicked on the "continue" buton instead.   Now I read that I shouldn't  use the continue button when a problem has been found.   What do I do to correct my error?
       @ other viurus wre found and I was alerted of them and each time, I put them in the virus chest.   Now, I don't know what to do next.    Can you explain?
        Also, I received in the mail a message from mailer daemon saying I had sent a letter with a virus in it.   But it misspelled "mailer" so I was afraid to open in and read it, as I've heard that misspellings in emails often mean that a virus is being delivered.    Or have I misjudged the meaning of this?      Also a friend of mine said she got an email that alerted her she had gotten a virus from me.     Who do you think sent her that notice?    Did you?   It is alright if it is to be expected.   But if someone crooked is sending it, then I have reason for concern.   Tell me what to think of all this, okay?
        Thanks.
                         Debby  

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:What to do after scan?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2004, 06:18:47 PM »
Hi!    I am new to using Avast.  I ran a full scan yesterday.    The first virus I was alerted of, I tried deleting but it refused.    So I clicked on the "continue" buton instead.   Now I read that I shouldn't  use the continue button when a problem has been found.   What do I do to correct my error?
       @ other viurus wre found and I was alerted of them and each time, I put them in the virus chest.   Now, I don't know what to do next.    Can you explain?

The idea of not pressing the continue button is so that the virus can't activate/install its self. But hopefully this would be caught the next time you run a virus scan (like as soon as possible).

Once the virus has been placed in the chest, it can't be activated, this is a protected area created by avast. So you should be ok, they can be deleted from the chest.

Also, I received in the mail a message from mailer daemon saying I had sent a letter with a virus in it.   But it misspelled "mailer" so I was afraid to open in and read it, as I've heard that misspellings in emails often mean that a virus is being delivered.    Or have I misjudged the meaning of this?      

There are a number of emails flying arround suposidly coming from mailer daemons, many faked in the hope of you looking to see what the problem was and getting contaminated. Ignor and delete them, there is nothing that you can do about them anyway.

Also a friend of mine said she got an email that alerted her she had gotten a virus from me.    

Who do you think sent her that notice?    Did you?  

Onyone could have sent it! virus and spam (for that matter), rarely if ever have the correct senders email address. It is often chosen randomly from the addres book and other locations on an infected users computer. Your address only has to be somewhere on that computer to be used as the sender (forged/faked).

With Avast correctly setup, you know if an email you send contains a virus, however some have their own email function built in. So you should also have a good firewall to protect against programs requesting outgoing internet connections.

It is alright if it is to be expected.   But if someone crooked is sending it, then I have reason for concern.   Tell me what to think of all this, okay?
        Thanks.
                         Debby  

Really the most useful thing you can is excercise a degree of common sence, this will provide an element of protection backed up by Avast and a firewall.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security