Author Topic: Hiding an infection in an unused SSL site  (Read 5522 times)

pete319

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Hiding an infection in an unused SSL site
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 05:38:47 PM »
Sneaky, I guess they are trying to combat AVs with web scanners, by putting it in an encrypted stream https and not normal http to try and evade detection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Black3agl3

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
then how do normal users know which sites r safe?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:58:32 PM »
then how do normal users know which sites r safe?

You don't and the term safe site is one which in these times is can't be guaranteed.

Every 3.6 seconds a website is infected http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47096.msg396648#msg396648. So one of those could be a so called safe site.

To get back to this topic, avast is generally very good at protecting you from these hacked sites, but this being on a secure encrypted wouldn't be scanned by the web shield, so it could get past one measure of protection.

However, when the web page with its iframe gets saved to the browser cache so that it may be displayed it is no longer encrypted and the Standard Shield should scan it and it too should be able to detect it in the same way as the web shield does.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Black3agl3

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 06:08:27 PM »
so it does not really affect us?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 07:34:42 PM »
so it does not really affect us?

You have to get out of the mind set of, "so it does not really effect us" in much the same way as there truly isn't a safe site (mentioned in an earlier topic) as even they can get hacked.

So the mind set should be, it could effect you but avast should limit that risk, but nothing will eliminate it totally. There isn't a single program out there that will give 100% protection. So you have to exercise caution in what you do and where you visit on the internet.

So you need to have a back-up and recovery strategy in place before anything happens (and that isn't just malware infection). If you don't want to lose it then back it up.

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 08:40:41 PM »
At least, it ignores one of the layered defenses of Avast! 4.8 and the resident protection can be late at times, which is the raison d'etre of Web Shield.  So, in any case, the users should be warned.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
Hi malware fighters,

SSL has holes bigger than Swiss cheese...
Every SSL-implementation ever is vulnerable now’
“This vulnerability can attack any SSL-implementation that was ever implemented”, according to researcher Moxie Marlinspike. “Everybody made a similar mistake.” In SSL-connections through https a secure connection from server to user is being set up.

The misleading trick comes by getting a SSL-certificate through Certificate Authorities (CA’s), like there are VeriSign, GeoTrust and Thawte. When the owner of a particular site like illegal.com asks for a certificate with a CA, they are asked through mail to affirm they own that site. One could also get a certificate for a subdomain like for instance, let's sayl paypal.com\0.illegal.com. A CA will make out a certificate for this, because they will only check the owner of the main domain and not the one of the subdomain is verified (here that is paypal.com).

Browsers stop whenever they read  ‘\0’
The root of the problem is SSL-implementation inside browsers for the first part of the domain. Firefox and Internet Explorer treat paypal.com\0.illegal.com as an official Paypal site (and also the certificate that goes with it) because they stop reading an url whenever they stumble upon a ‘\0’ in the url-code. A hacker now can easily circumvent SSL validation with whatever domain that he could dream up. The only browser that is secure in this respect is FireFox 3.5,

polonus
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:34:53 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Sesame

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 01:30:08 AM »
cf. Vulnerabilities Allow Attacker to Impersonate Any Website  Thanks, polonus, to be honest, I didn't know the part of FF3.5.

Conogo

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 01:40:14 AM »
The only browser that is secure in this respect is FireFox 3.5

Luckily I use FF3.5  ;D

Sesame

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 02:29:44 AM »
Luckily I use FF3.5  ;D
Judging from the fact that you describe it as "lucky", I take it that you didn't know it, either.  I guess that we tend to expect fixes/patches first rather than improvements when it comes to version updates.  :P
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:17:09 AM by Rumpel »

pete319

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:56:34 AM »
Thanks polonus

I also was not aware Firefox 3.5