Author Topic: Avast can`t read the files I asked it to scan?  (Read 5086 times)

Rona121

Avast can`t read the files I asked it to scan?
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:12:25 PM »
I have the 4.8 home edition Avast and ran a scan but after all the scanning avst results say can`t read or open files? the same for a standard scan..Help!

Rona

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast can`t read the files I asked it to scan?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:15:54 PM »
Hello Rona121,

welcome to the forums.

if avast! says it can't read or open file, then it means that file(which avast! scanned) is either corrupted or password protected.

Rona121

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 07:28:44 PM »
thanks for the prompt reply but it is saying it can`t read any scans I ask it to do? I tried all scans just to make certain it swept  my whole computer for any virus or infections..and it scanned all the things I asked it to, but then the results showed Unable to read, unable to scan? surely not all my computer is corrupted? its a windows XP version home computer, however I am running spywaredoctor along side it? I don`t scan with them both at once,would this make a difference? I also have registry cleaner, but again its as and when I activate it..

Rona121

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 07:38:09 PM »
could it be because I am running in Safe Mode?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 07:40:34 PM »
Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned. Running a scan from safe mode should make no difference and there really should be no need to run one from safe mode.

Many programs (usually security based ones) password protect their files for legitimate reasons such as AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy, there are others (and avast doesn't know the password or have any way of using it even if it did know it).

When you run scans with the above programs and you delete harmful entries that they detect, a copy is kept (in quarantine/restore/backup) in case you need to reverse what you did. These are usually password protected, you should do some housekeeping and delete old backup/recovery/quarantine entries (older than two weeks or so), this will reduce the numbers of files that can't be scanned.

By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to. You may need to expand the column headings to see all the text.

If you can give some examples of those file names, the locations and reason given why it can't be scanned might help us further ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Rona121

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:17 PM »
Hi its says the same for all files scanned as being unable to read not all the files are password securitys and the disk files aren`t anyway it appears I don`t have any problems, but I find Avast vague and this bothers me..I expected to understand what it scanned ie C:/ files (there are loads) just comes up with unable to read again! etc..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 10:54:27 PM »
I somehow doubt it is saying it for all files as the list only shows files that haven't been scanned, were you to enable the reporting of files scanned that list would be absolutely enormous.

Since you say not all the files are password protected, which is why I asked for a few examples, because without information, I'm working in the dark or guessing, neither of which helps either of us.

Many other AVs don't even tell you that a file hasn't been scanned, so you are none the wiser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 11:03:09 PM »
Can you post a screenshot of the results?

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:11 PM »
@Rona:

try to scan that file using a bootable Antivirus disc, if you got error during scan with them (about that locked file inside windows), then you need to check your hard drive for problems to make sure there are nothing with your hard drive.

to do scan via bootable antivirus disc:
there are some free bootable antivirus disc. Dr.Web Live CD and Avira Rescue System.

The Avira AntiVir Rescue System a linux-based application that allows accessing computers that cannot be booted anymore. Thus it is possible to repair a damaged system, to rescue data or to scan the system for virus infections. Just double-click on the rescue system package to burn it to a CD/DVD. You can then use this CD/DVD to boot your computer. The Avira AntiVir Rescue System is updated several times a day so that the most recent security updates are always available. You can download it from Here. You can learn how to use it from Here.
also, if you want to burn that disc yourself with your own burning tool (Such as Nero or…), you can download the Image File (.iso) from Here.
After burn it to disc, use it to boot your computer and do a full scan and remove everything it find.

if you failed to scan that file using these programs too, you would need to scan your hard drive partition for some problem (if there are any).
how to do it:
-Right Click on your hard drive partition in "My Computer"
-choose properties
-go to tools tab
-in "error checking" click on "check now" and let it fix everything that it find, if it ask to reboot, let it reboot(restart) your computer.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE