Author Topic: Soulseek compatibility  (Read 7860 times)

quinone

Soulseek compatibility
« on: February 25, 2004, 09:45:08 AM »
Any chance of getting Soulseek supported in p2p realtime scanner? Soulseek hardly contains any viruses, but it's my p2p agent of choice, and it would thus be nice if it was realtime supported too.

Inge

ps: did a forum search, and to my amazement *no one* so far has requested this. Am I the only person alive who uses Avast! and Soulseek on the same rig? :D

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:Soulseek compatibility
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2004, 09:52:50 AM »
Why not, I've put it to the todo list...BTW where can it be downloaded?
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

quinone

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »
Kewl :)

http://www.slsknet.org/

I thought that it was quite a familiar and wellknown p2p agent...odd. Eitherway, it's a charming tool that especially is being used by the more 'advanced' computerusers. It mainly focuses on (electronically generated) music, but can also be used for software, movies and so on. Try it...it looks less professional what you are used, but works like a charm and has some interesting options.

Inge

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 10:08:52 AM »
Well the fact is I don't use any P2P at all but many people here do so maybe your tip will be useful for them... :)

Thanks
Vlk

Uzi

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 03:49:21 PM »
Is there a need for such an agent? (a dedicated support?).

Soulseek doesn't use any unique format for the downloaded files, nor any kind of encryption or encoding. There are no tools that open streams before they are saved as files.

I thus believe that the standard on-access scanner will prevent infected files from being saved when such an attempt is made. You are thus quite safe even without a dedicated agent for Soulseek. (Unless there is somethiing that I'm unaware of, regarding Avast's on-access scanner).

As for heuristics, the only thing I can think of is a heuristic  identification of suspicious files appearing in Soulseek's shared folders,  for dealing with cases where the computer is already infected with some worm which tries to use the Soulseek network to spread.

I do not say that Alwil's staff should not check this software for their antivirus, but I doubt that there is a need for a dedicated agent/provider for Soulseek.

----
later correction: there are worms which also try to distribute themselves by putting copies of them also in the Soulseek shared folder.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 09:57:40 AM by Uzi »

Proteus93

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:25:38 AM »
I had actually just run a forum search for this very topic. Fortunately, Soulseek has been fairly clear of problems with only 6 infections to date known to exploit the network - 4 of those being generic in that they target several P2P clients. However, there are 2 so far that specifically target Soulseek - Deadhat (Vesser), and Gaggle. I looked for a Deadhat infected file to download in order to test the Standard Shield (all components are set to 'High'). Upon download, Avast failed to detect the file with the resident detection. I went on to specifically scan the file, both with a right click and selection of 'Scan with Avast!', and a straight forward virus scan. None of these selections detected the virus. However, it was confirmed afterwards with another product.
The specific virus is a couple months old now, and exploits MyDoom infections. The Avast database on  my machine is up to date (being a recent installation  -- current version 0422-0). Being both a steadily connected user and having personal involvement with the network, it would be incredibly beneficial to be able to take comfort in having the coverage available.  Appreciate the consideration. Cheers.

Sean Nelson / Proteus93
-Soulseek Administration

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2004, 11:45:06 AM »
It's already implemented (together with a long list of other P2P/IM apps). Wait for avast 4.5 - due in about two months...

Thanks
Vlk

Proteus93

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 12:09:58 PM »
That's really pleasing news. I look forward to it. As long as you're on the forum, I took a moment to search the Virus Database in the program. In there, I found 3 references to W32 Vesser (Deadhat), however it does not detect the file when it is on the machine. I just tested another (a variant of Bagle), and it has not detected, either. However, NOD32 has caught them. Would it be a matter of an incompatibility with NOD32? I ask more because of not being given a warning by the program, as I was with AVG (which I went on to remove). It just strikes me as odd that the other would completely 'negate' the functionality of Avast! - even when Avast! has been directed to the infection (Standard Shield acknowledges that it has scanned it), and when I have turned NOD32 off. I was going to go about uninstalling NOD32 and testing it's functionality again, but figured I would ask someone who may already know.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 12:14:18 PM »
You can try using on-demand scan (e.g. righclick the file in Explorer and select Scan...). If the file is not detected, please submit it to virus@avast.com for analysis. If the file is detected, though, there's likely a collision between the two AV's, although if Standard Shield says it has scanned the file it would be quite weird... Anyway, I'd definitely recommend against using 2 on-acess scanners at once - there is a great chance that sooner or later, your OS will crash... :-\

Thanks
Vlk

Proteus93

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2004, 01:26:38 PM »
An on-demand scan did NOT work. However, I removed NOD32 and instructed Avast to perform a boot scan, and restarted. It found all 3 infections at boot. I ignored them to make sure I could find them when Windows was open, as well. Sure enough, sirens and warnings, followed by the proper procedure. I'd take that as an obvious sign that NOD32 and Avast are definitely NOT compatible![/i] Upon seeing it effeciently in action, I'm satisfied that the protection provided will be sufficient. Thanks for the acknowledgement and tips. Cheers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2004, 01:58:56 PM »
I'd definitely recommend against using 2 on-acess scanners at once - there is a great chance that sooner or later, your OS will crash... :-\

I found troubles using both togheter avast and AVG7 (other users and Alwil team not)  :-\
The best things in life are free.