Author Topic: Avast anti-virus 4.8.1229 VPS 081121-0 is on but is reporting it's status to Win  (Read 6644 times)

tgs

I get this warning message from a small icone at the bottom right of pc screen (if i click on it)

Avast anti-virus 4.8.1229 VPS 081121-0 is on but is reporting it's status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported. (Vista here)

spg SCOTT

Hi tgs,

I don't use vista so  I am not quite sure what that means exactly but you could try updating to the latest version of avast which is 4.8.1335

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe

-Scott-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=4928
I'm on Vista but without the problems you're experiencing.
Maybe you could repair avast installation and boot.

Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.

tgs

I got this thing now. It's an Avast Icon alright but with a "Windows" look a like icon (smaller at the bottom right) with it on my Program list (you know the most used if you click on the windows button on the bottom left ?)
If i try to launch it, i get the warning from Vista that "A program needs your permission to continue" So i didn't proceed.
It's from ALWIL

I wonder if it's "the real thing" and that i'm not getting "scr*wed" ?
Am i being paranoid ?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:53:59 PM by tgs »

tgs

Oh yeah, i did update the software and still get the warning that it's in a format that it's no longer supported . Well i hope i did it with the RIGHT software cause it's the same. If it's a scam, man this is one IS DAMN GOOD !
Right now i see that Avast is scanning (resident protection).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:56:10 PM by tgs »

tgs

I keep getting "Adobe Flash Installer" do you want to install this software ?

I did accept it (once) and it still shows up ?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
From where did you download avast?
Which site are asking you to install Adobe Flash Installer?

tgs

I downloaded the right software (yours) from the right place. Just checked and everything's fine.
As for the Adobe thing, this is ok too

I also scanned my PC with 3 other safe program to make sure and everything's fine also.

Right now, the windows security alerts still show the malware protection bar in yellow with the same warning message.
That's it is ON but it's in a format that is no longer supported.

Weird ?

tgs

Damn, it is still showing the warning message. I updated Vista (in case it wasn't doing the auto update) and i also manually updated the virus database of Avast and updated the software too. Rebooted and it looked like it was ok, then, bang, the yellow warning icon "Windows security alerts" at the bottom right of the screen appeared arghhhh.
It is the same message showing up:

Avast anti-virus 4.8.1229 VPS 081121-0 is on but is reporting it's status to Windows Security Center in a format that is no longer supported.

Any ideas ?
Let me know
Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Check your system time and date.
Maybe it will be necessary follow the instructions here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm (it works for Vista also).

tgs

Ok i tried this:

********************************************************************************************
For Windows Vista

Open an elevated Command Prompt window. To do so, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command:

winmgmt  /salvagerepository

The above command Performs a consistency check on the WMI repository, and if an inconsistency is detected, rebuilds the repository. The content of the inconsistent repository is merged into the rebuilt repository, if it can be read.
*********************************************************************************************

Response:

WMI repository salvage failed
Error code: 0x8007041b
Facility: Win32
Description: A stop control has been sent to a service that other running services are dependant on.

**********************************************************************************************

I then got:

The security center service is "OFF" (bottom right of the screen)
I then turned it "ON" and everything went to back to where it was. Still with malware protection message bug.

tgs

HuMMMMMmmmm looks like it's working now ? After 2 reboots ?

So guys, keep in mind that if you do this, reboot twice.

I'll keep you posted if it happens again

tgs

Still getting the same warning.
Any ideas ?