Author Topic: "License key is not entered" at startup  (Read 5078 times)

timmmaaayyy2003

"License key is not entered" at startup
« on: August 10, 2009, 01:00:14 AM »
I've tried all solutions I've been able to find on this forum, but still get the error every time I start my machine. I've uninstalled/reinstalled countless times, I've re-registered with a new key (the end date won't change by the way), and I've tried to make sure that permissions/ownership have full access.

This error comes up at startup and any other time I try to manually run ashDisp.exe even though the services and protection are running normally.

Please help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: "License key is not entered" at startup
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
How many admin accounts do you have in this computer?
Is there any other antivirus installed? Had in the past?
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:39:56 AM »
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Please advise your operating system, and any other security applications active.
Did you have any other AV installed on this computer in the past?
Please check your system time and date.

The registration form for the Home version is here, the FAQ's for registration issues are here. Let us know if this solves anything.
You would normally fill out the form and Alwil will then email you the key, which should work, assuming it is entered correctly. (Right click the Avast icon, select "about", select "license key", enter the details, click "OK".)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

timmmaaayyy2003

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 03:22:16 AM »
How many admin accounts do you have in this computer?
Is there any other antivirus installed? Had in the past?

One admin acct. Mine.

Running Win7 RC. Had AVG for a while after this came up, but they started serving up spam on my desktop, so I decided to try this again. I've run uninstaller routines to remove any and all references of previous security programs except the ones that come with windoze.

Again, I've seen references on this board about all you mention, and have removed other apps and this is about my 3rd key. The services all run normally except ashDisp.exe.

timmmaaayyy2003

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 03:23:12 AM »
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Please advise your operating system, and any other security applications active.
Did you have any other AV installed on this computer in the past?
Please check your system time and date.

The registration form for the Home version is here, the FAQ's for registration issues are here. Let us know if this solves anything.
You would normally fill out the form and Alwil will then email you the key, which should work, assuming it is entered correctly. (Right click the Avast icon, select "about", select "license key", enter the details, click "OK".)

Been there. Done that. see above.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:31:17 AM »
've run uninstaller routines to remove any and all references of previous security programs except the ones that come with windoze.

By this, you mean that you ran the AVG Removal tool and not just the standard Add/Remove programs in control panel?
http://www.avg.com/download-tools

If you have, have you tried a repair of avast?
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

timmmaaayyy2003

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
've run uninstaller routines to remove any and all references of previous security programs except the ones that come with windoze.

By this, you mean that you ran the AVG Removal tool and not just the standard Add/Remove programs in control panel?
http://www.avg.com/download-tools

If you have, have you tried a repair of avast?

Yup, and yup.