Author Topic: Windows Security Alerts  (Read 4813 times)

NexRad

Windows Security Alerts
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:24:12 AM »
Why is it that WSC says that Avast is out of date? COMPLETELY UPATED!!

VISTA HOME BASIC SP2

I want to know what is going on. I left AVG for this same issue! My subscription was paid there, not free!!

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
Re: Windows Security Alerts
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:32 AM »
Check the system time and date on your computer.
May the FOSS be with you!

NexRad

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:57:46 PM »
Time and date are there and correct. so....what does that have to do with security center saying avast is not up to date?

CharleyO

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:00:33 PM »

Time and date are there and correct. so....what does that have to do with security center saying avast is not up to date?

Because if your system date was wrong ... suppose it was set at 01/10/10 ... and the date your avast key date of expiration was less ... suppose it was 10/09/09 ... then WSC would "think" that your avast program was not up to date.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
Hello,

For problems related to Windows Security Center, like showing multiple instances of your antivirus or out-of-date, there are some simple solutions to reset the database:

For Windows XP:
- Start -> Run -> type services.msc and press Enter
- stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service (this will also stop Security Center and Windows Firewall)
- move the c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository folder to another location (for safety reasons)
- restart the computer

or

- Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command prompt
- run the following commands:
winmgmt /clearadap
winmgmt /kill
winmgmt /unregserver
winmgmt /regserver
winmgmt /resyncperf

For Windows Vista:
- Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator)
- run the following command:
winmgmt /salvagerepository

or

winmgmt /resetrepository

You may have to run to command more than one time, since it will need to stop the WMI service first. Repeat it until the message "WMI repository is consistent" appears or you see your security center is working well.

Another option for Vista is the following:
- from services.msc stop "Windows Management Instrumentation" service
- go to Start -> Programs -> Accesories
- right click on "Command prompt" and choose "Run as administrator"
- issue the following commands:
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
- start "Windows Management Instrumentation" service

Best regards,
Omid Farhang
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:46:15 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 12:45:08 AM »
I left AVG for this same issue! My subscription was paid there, not free!!

By the way, use the AVG Remover to get rid of its remnants. ;)
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

NexRad

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 02:23:29 AM »
I left AVG for this same issue! My subscription was paid there, not free!!

By the way, use the AVG Remover to get rid of its remnants. ;)

I did use that remover.

I would like to know exactly what the instructions above do. If they tell WSC not to notify me of a problem I will not do that. Please advise as to the EXACT verbiage of what they do.

In my first post you will see that I am running Vista Home Basic(yeah me!). May want to adjust canned speeches so everyone feels like you are speakinh directly to them.

In terms of loading the command prompt I cannot emphasize enough that I like to know what I am telling the machine what to do,....I think you can respect that in this day and age.

Thank you all for your time and information!
It is GREATLY appreciated!

Ken (NexRad)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stops recognizing your antivirus or firewall... So, check your system time and date and also http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50:59 AM »
I would like to know exactly what the instructions above do. If they tell WSC not to notify me of a problem I will not do that. Please advise as to the EXACT verbiage of what they do.
In simple English, what the procedure suggested does is to cause the repository to rebuild itself. Following the reboot the WSC will work as before, but correctly. (By deleting the repository or renaming it, it will be rebuilt by the OS upon restart. It is necessary to stop the services mentioned so that the file can be renamed or deleted. The services should automatically restart on reboot.Check they are set to "automatic" which is the default. If you use the alternative method listed  - renaming it to "old", that "old" file can later be deleted, if you want to keep things pristine.)
In my first post you will see that I am running Vista Home Basic(yeah me!). May want to adjust canned speeches so everyone feels like you are speakinh directly to them.

If a problem is frequently encountered - and this one is, believe me - a fair few of the forum helpers are likely to have texts that can be quickly inserted into the reply, that will solve the problem.
The other advantage of using such a text, that covers more than one operating system, especially if the OS is not referred to by name in the thread title, is that others looking for help with similar issues can find it without necessarily having to look through dozens of threads.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:18:09 AM »
@NexRad: What I wrote for you would re-set your WSC and this would remove remaining parts of your old antivirus/antispyware/firewall and create a fresh copy of it with your current configuration such as security programs and date/time.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE