Author Topic: SUDDENLY SO MANY UPDATES ALMOST EVERY DAY  (Read 5481 times)

qrius2noall

SUDDENLY SO MANY UPDATES ALMOST EVERY DAY
« on: February 14, 2007, 06:02:21 PM »
 ???

This may sound rather naive and primitive to ask but nonetheless,Iam just curious to know why suddenly there are so many updates (almost everyday,today I got it even twice)-ARE THERE MORE VULNERABILITIES POPPING UP THESE DAYS?Does launch of VISTA has anything to do it?

ONETHING IMPRESSIVE THOUGH IS HOW UPTODATE AND LATEST THIS PRODUCT IS

CHEERS

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: SUDDENLY SO MANY UPDATES ALMOST EVERY DAY
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
avast is continually updating the virus signatures VPS updates and responding to new threats. There is no specified update schedule so when new ones are added they are regularly released and not held back for any schedule.

I doubt it has anything to do with the release of Vista.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:33:29 PM »
To add to DavidR's comment, some updates are to correct false positive detections. Avast has been pretty fast in correcting these.

emac

Update Override?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:49:15 PM »
Although I appreciate the excellent antivirus work that AVAST does, it is sometimes very annoying for those of us on dial-up to have everything grind to a halt until the update has finished.  For example, if I want to go to EBay quickly to post a higher bid, I sometimes lose that opportunity because the update has stopped everything in its tracks.  I hope that Avast solves this problem.  I would like the option to delay the update for a more opportune time.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: Update Override?
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:02:45 PM »
Although I appreciate the excellent antivirus work that AVAST does, it is sometimes very annoying for those of us on dial-up to have everything grind to a halt until the update has finished.  For example, if I want to go to EBay quickly to post a higher bid, I sometimes lose that opportunity because the update has stopped everything in its tracks.  I hope that Avast solves this problem.  I would like the option to delay the update for a more opportune time.

You can change the Updates options to manual or to ask when update is available.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

Jack 1000

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:05:42 PM »
Ever since I have had Avast, I get about two updates a day, (that I see.)  I think that is about average.  If you miss the pop-up Window after an update, you would have to manually check to see the last definition update.

I like the frequency of updates and hope Avast remains dedicated to this process, while at the same time, doing their best to not drain CPU system resources during this time.  Seeing the update notice is good, because it tells me that Avast is doing its job.

Jack

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
Besides the fact that this thread is 2 years old...

You can see  this post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=43773.msg366191#msg366191

it will explain how to delay the update check, to allow you to do whatever you want in that time.

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:15:37 PM »
Well I'm on dial-up and my connection doesn't grind to a halt whilst updates are going on.

What you want to do is what I do and delay the update check, I have mine set to delay by 10 minutes (600 seconds) so I can jump on-line do something quickly and get off.

You need to edit (using notepad) the [InetWD] section of the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Data\avast4.ini file and add the following line (depending on your connection type enter one or other of the Bold lines below):

Dial-up connections, add this line:
RASWaitSeconds=600 and
UseRAS=1 if not present (or edit UseRAS=0 to UseRAS=1)
[InetWD]
UseRAS=1
RASWaitSeconds=600
When complete save the changes, avast's self-defence module will ask for confirmation, etc. answer Yes.

The figure is seconds and the above equates to ten minutes, you could try that and adjust upwards or downwards if required.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DarkClown

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 12:37:08 AM »
What's Dial-up?   ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:41:33 AM »
I hope you are joking or you have lead a very sheltered/privileged existence ;D

What's Google :P

Never pays to mock the afflicted, they have a very long memory.

DarkClown

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:23:43 PM »
Ahem ... yes indeed. Hence the " ;)"