Author Topic: windows updates problem  (Read 1569 times)

peterraikman

windows updates problem
« on: August 12, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
  My system appears to run happily

I use Avast, and I also have Norton which tests incoming attachments ( I don't know if it does more  )

I have a problem installing updates to Windows XP Home Edition, which may be a result of having one or other or both of these. Does anyone have any opinion, and if yes, can the one or other or both be disabled, and if so how  ?

Non-techy, please

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: windows updates problem
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 02:23:47 AM »
Hi, welcome to the forum.
Your problem is that you have two AV's installed. This will cause problems, sooner or later. Possibly big problems, especially likely if they start a tussle over an actual virus.
My recommendation is to uninstall one of them, preferably Norton,  and run the appropriate removal tool. Here is a link to the Norton Removal Tool.
And, so as not to appear biased,  Here is the link for the Avast uninstall utility.
In my experience with friends' computers, Norton (especially Norton360) can do a real number on Windows updates.
I've used Norton before. It came pre-installed. Haven't had a problem since using Avast.

Let us know how you get on. Further actions may be indicated after you've removed the AV, if Windows update still doesn't work.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: windows updates problem
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:39:20 AM »
Disable is not enough. You need to fully uninstall Norton. Follow Tarq's directions.
The best things in life are free.