Author Topic: computer cashing this is the question I could not bring up in the other post  (Read 24420 times)

sham1313

the sound I have told you about that come from the computer  was making  a   mmmmm sound very lightly. it was doing the sound last night and it is  doing it now. sense I have been up it will get a  little bit louder and then a tad lower again.  when mike hear that he just Say's that is the fan. the computer some times you do not hear that sound or any think at all. I think that sound has been on all night. if it  get louder and and or get a weird screen or a reply then I will be back.
thanks Sharon

Well, you are using Vista right?
yes I am using vista

So let us eliminate the issue of software base problem.

Sharon, the next time you open up the computer, Just power it up and don't open any programs (nothing)
Next click in order, and hold down this specific sequence of keys on your Keyboard:

Ctrl  Alt   Delete
     I waited for the desktop got fully on the screen. I was about to click the prober keys and windows update and avast at the same time wanted to update but It wanted to update at the same time. I went to the post an saw  what to do and I click the prober keys and saw CPU 7 and percentage 36.  did it again 10 CBUand 30% then I saw 6 35  remember you said do this when the till I herd that sound. it did not yet made the MM sound. then I remember this was to be done when it was 1st turn on. later I will do this again and the right way. before I even started this when the updates did there thing and Java always cones on now from the start when I click Java to let it finish I herd  that mmmm sound I heard and it did not hit till I turn the computer off. then  I realized I should have taken the CBU . but i did not. next i start the computer I will do it and do it right.and the right way.
thanks sham1313
When you see a screen (very lovely background color) appear. At this point let go of the keys. The screen will contain a list with five options:

-> Lock this computer
                                                       -> Switch User
                                                       -> Log off
                                                       -> Change a password
                                                       -> Open Task Manager

Move the mouse pointer and click on:  -> Open Task Manager

The screen will disappear and you will see your desktop plus a window with the Heading:

Windows Task Manager

This window has multiple tabs. We are interested to see the tab marked:

Performance

Now look for something called CPU usage in this window. Mark down the percentage. (It's oscillating so just pick a moment and write down the value in percent) Do this every 10 min or so, until the computer starts making that mmmmmmm sound you described. Observe what hapens to the CPU Usage when you hear the fan louder. Does it go up? Is it constant?

Post back with questions and observations :)

sham1313

I did one mistake earlier I thought I did one post here but I  sent it to Confused Computer User personal. I thought I had saved it.  I got a reply back saying I should have posted witch I thought I did. sense I do not have a copy of it if Confused Computer user I hope will  post it here for me please. then you can put it with this information.

CPU 18   29% then the  next 10 min was 63 and 43 then 41  65 last one was last 2 times was a very little  mmmm
in the one.    the one I did earlier when I goofed trying because when I turn it windows update and avast started update. after I did it I remember you were to do it right after the computer started that is why I did it again and those I think were in a difference range with the numbers then these are.  I remember there was a more of a minimum then than this time.  I think in the morning I well try it again. because when I did here themmmmm after I can't recall what there was a mmmm then and I did not write that one down.

I have the computer on block for me to reach it better also because no soft carpit to put under it       there are times that the little blocks has block a bit of the vent and made that nose as soon as a totes it and move the block it take a few for it do be quite ER, or the weird screen that it was getting I have not received. just from time to time here that sound some time very lately and other times a bit more. but not real loud like it has been some times. there are version tracker, windows live message and Java all come on start up and i did not bring
thanks Sharon I hope i did this right

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
HI,

the last private message you sent me was:

it took me a while to see CPU down on the bottom and it was going pertty fast I know you said pick a time to write it down. do you just want the 1st one I see then 10 min later do again. when I started to do this I wind up have to restart  3 because avast and windows was wanting to update at the same time. and it was doing that sound right then.

then Java seem to start on its own witch I did not set it to do that. also windows live message witch I cannot figure out how to get rid of that. that is a different problem. also that versiontracker start up when computer comes on don't know if that makes a different I will be off the computer for a while I will check to see if I have a reply and then I will try this again
thanks sham1313

My reply was brief and unfortunately I did not save it so no go at posting that here.
Regardless, let's look at your latest post.

CPU 18   29% then the  next 10 min was 63 and 43 then 41  65 last one was last 2 times was a very little  mmmm
Ok so I take it that the computer did not make the load mmmmm noise followed by the screen changing colors.

The reason why I inquire is to insure that the noise the fan is making is due to physical problem or to a software issue.
Now if the fan is making that load mmmmmm noise and the CPU is at 63% then the problem is because of the software (at which point there might be a way to fix it). However if the computer makes the load mmmmm noise and the CPU is at 18% then the problem has to do with the hard ware which would require more technical help.
But before we get to that let's make sure that it's not due to software.

Is your computer still having the problems you talked about in this thread: load noise, weird screen?

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

sham1313

I need   to try and do this quick because shortly after I posted andwas doing my mail the screen went black and I had to push and hold down the key for about a min then it went off I left it off 20 min an try to get it on and the black screen came back with a tint of blue in a certain pattern. I turn off left it off for a half hour. I tried it again andthe
little blue light that  in a line where the on andoff key is. the little blue light that are in line with the on off key. would blink on and off like it was trying to shut off an back on. I did not know what to. I thought just turning it off
 and the bluelight I have told you about when they were blinking before this i had mike take the battery out after it was unplug then  then put back in after awhile i can't recall in what order all of this was going on.

.  all kinds of things like this was happen. I almost got it in to safemode but after it started loading the drivers it went to the weird screen. this last time I did it when the blinking blue light were blinking like it was trying to start an then off. I could tell by the sound..  from the second two the last post I was not having any more weird  screen till tonight from way back at the beginning doing blue screen and later different kins of patterns and now what it has done tonight

for a while if I was turning it off at night and on in the morning and may off one or two times being off for awhile then back on I was not having much trouble just the sound I have told you. I have tried a few times to finish saying for some reason it was was sounding off an on noise an the blinking blue light I started hitting ctr alt delete after I did that for a few min the blinking blue light stay on and it was just a black screen. for 30 min it stayed like that and now I am on an to this point. they were so many different things going on. I hoping this makes some sense to you. I am going to try and proof read it  checking the spelling before sending, an pray and hope some of this makes sense.
thanks a bunch and I well tried my best to do this right. sham1313
 I know there are a few mistake but I think you can understand it and wanting to get this sent Thank you again

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Some quick questions.
(Quick, yes/no answers appreciated  ;))

-Did you take the case apart yet to check for dust inside?

-Did you check the video card?

This is starting to sound more and more like a hardware problem, I'm afraid.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

@Tarq57

I think it is more of a problem like PEBKAC r

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
lol. That's not nice.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
@Tarq57

Sometimes attempts at humour are appropriate. Especially if they lead to something helpful.
This one isn't.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sham1313

clean some run out of the can air before he got done. trying to collect change to get it toay Sharon

Some quick questions.
(Quick, yes/no answers appreciated  ;))

-Did you take the case apart yet to check for dust inside?

-Did you check the video card?

This is starting to sound more and more like a hardware problem, I'm afraid.

sham1313

what does this mean PEBKAC
sham1313

@Tarq57

Black3agl3

PEBKAC= problem exists between keyboard and chair....
meaning the user... :P
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:52:55 PM by Black3agl3 »

sham1313

@Tarq57

some of it maybe my faul right now feel smarter then you are/ HAHA Sharon 

sham1313

I did forget to tell you the 1st 3 rimes I started the computer before all of last evening started it took longer an longer to start but this morning it started very fast
sham1313 Sharon

sham1313

PEBKAC= problem exists between keyboard and computer....
meaning the user... :P
did a quick google search and found that out
thanks Sharon

sham1313

I think  as soon as I here the sound statting to get bad I well take down the CPU and percentage then. when I was was wanting it to act up so I could get the prober reading for you it just would not do it. then one time before the sound got real bad the computer started doing it thing. and from that time the sound got bad an it was not a mmmmmm it was more of a... I  have to think on how to describe the sound. maybe this is close ERERERRRRRRRRRR.

back a few month ago it started off with getting a couple of blue screen and after a couple of light colored pattern screen. i was told at one point it might have been a conflick with the antisuperspyware. and to unstall it I did. I think that was to see if it was a software issue. I did not get any more blue screen. later it was the light colored pattern and after that it was different black screen some just black and some with vertical lines like you would see on TV when it had problems. and I recall some that had certain symbols on black. when the computer is working right. i am gong to compose a e-mail to   HP about it. sense it is a Pavilion laptop running on Windows vista. product no. KN854UA memory 3.00 GB system type 32-bit OS I think I have learn this right that what I just typed is the information I should have give you at the start of this.
thanks sham1313 Sharon
thanks sham1313 Sharon.