Author Topic: Will Avast ever availabe to buy in-stores?  (Read 7670 times)

stormer

Will Avast ever availabe to buy in-stores?
« on: August 13, 2009, 03:58:40 PM »
I have seen advertising of ESET on billboards in London and KasperskyAV/IS available to buy in-store.
(Alongside the common Norton and McAfee).

But will ALWIL Avast software ever be able to bought in-stores?

Thanks.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
Re: Will Avast ever availabe to buy in-stores?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:49:58 PM »
I think it's a question of cost.

For instance you know how Anti-viruses sometime come pre-installed on PC's. Well PC manufacturers don't do this for nothing. They are paid by the Anti-virus companies to install demo/trial versions of their product.

Similarly, creating a package and selling it to a chain store which in turn sells it to a customer costs money.

I would guess, it costs more than having a server from which people can download your product.

By these arguments I believe (this is my opinion... not fact) that Avast will not be available to be bought in-stores.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 11:03:55 PM »
there are the avast! resellers though...
http://www.avast.com/eng/distributors-and-resellers.html
(click on a location on the map ;))

Also: avast! blog >> Why is avast! not pre-installed on my new computer?

This expands a bit on what Confused Computer User has said.

-Scott-

Offline sandy55

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 04:38:27 PM »
It is time to renew my avast.  I am NOT a computer person by any stretch of the imagination.  I do not want to use my credit card absolutely refuse to do so.  When I first bought avast I bought a credit card at a store for the amount I needed and sent it to pay pal.   I don't recall all the reasons this became a night mare but I took me two months from the date I bought to have avast actually work on my computer. ... part was that river whatever... sorry it has been a long time and don't recall all the issues it seemed every step had an  issue. 
So it is time to renew.  I am old school I don't like paying for two months I did not use the program as it was too difficult (for me) to get thru this process I kept giving up.
I have not renewed because of the problems I had getting my money to you and then getting the program to work.... just too much. 
Today I thought it is time to do something about this.  I just learned I cannot buy avast in the store and just add the code to my computer... this is sux for the minority of people like me. 
I am off to buy some kind of virus protection in a store... IF I am missing some easy kind of payment that an old school person would not find a nightmare... please add this information here.  btw now my paypal account is completely messed up... I am opting out of this type of payment option... for good... not an option for me.
Bye avast.
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:39 PM »
so why not use avast free then     ::)

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48:17 PM »
  I do not want to use my credit card absolutely refuse to do so. .................
 btw now my paypal account is completely messed up... I am opting out of this type of payment option... for good... not an option for me.
Bye avast.
Not just "bye, Avast!"....more like "bye, all online commerce"?

Sorry, but for a software company, boxed sales have become for the most part a high-priced promotional tool, one that Avast! might see as outside its budget, if not altogether obsolete.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 04:49:22 PM »
Wow, old thread...I remember posting, but forgot about this...

Ok, so the issue...

I am with you on being reluctant to buy things online...I think I can count the amount of things I have bought online in one hand.

That said, avast doesn't sell in a physical way (i.e. no boxes that you see in shops for other AVs)

However, depending on your location you could buy from a reseller near you, they would have the option of buying instore...

See if there is one near you:
http://www.avast.com/en-gb/locate-dealer
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:51:01 PM by spg SCOTT »

Gargamel360

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 04:51:41 PM »
However, depending on your location you could buy from a reseller near you, they would have the option of buying instore...
+1

Look here to see if there is one near you>>http://www.avast.com/locate-dealer

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 05:16:27 PM »
Well... It shouldn't be difficult... Quite a lot of users got avast online.
If you use SafeZone, you can be sure your credit card info is safe handled.
The best things in life are free.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:53:42 PM »
I don't have safe zone as avast has expired. 
I had the program for two months last time before I actually could get it to work.  I know the older or more behind in technology people like me are dinosaurs.  As for online commerce Avast is the only thing I have ever bought online.  I have a relative who works in computers way too busy to help me of course but he says there is never anything you put online that cannot be hacked NOTHING no time ever.   No matter what program you have it can be hacked.  So maybe he is wrong I don't know but I would rather be safe than sorry.
I will check the re-seller link.
Thanks for the idea.
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Offline sandy55

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 07:01:56 PM »
The local reseller site seems to be promoting something called (this is a cut and paste)
NOD32 ANTIVIRUS 5
I have a feeling if I call them they will try to sell me that program I am use to this one would rather have it as I know how it works.  I am not of the age where learning things comes easy and just want an easy to use program that is easy to buy.  I am not planning on ever learning more about computers than I already know smirk if you like but hey there was no color tv when I was born so already I have done what I feel is enough to get me to my death bed with email and entertaining blogs that is enough for me.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 07:13:52 PM »
Nice man.  He says he can do this for $40 bucks which is good for me. 
His address has changed from the one on the link.  I just have to get in there now.
Thanks for the help.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »
Why not simply use the FREE version ???
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet