Author Topic: Help!  (Read 2809 times)

alyce.humphrey

Help!
« on: August 13, 2009, 04:38:05 PM »
Cannot get my Avast to work!  Will not take my license number.  Flags as "invalid"  Know good and well that I am putting in correct number!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 05:25:38 PM »
What version of avast do you have, Home/Pro ?

How are you entering the key (type or copy and paste) ?

Q: "Invalid license number". Why? http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html Or Insert Registration Key - Video
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »
What version of avast do you have, Home/Pro ?

How are you entering the key (type or copy and paste) ?

Q: "Invalid license number". Why? http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-invalid-license-number.html Or Insert Registration Key - Video

Hi David,

I would like to share my experience here with avast license key. I just purchase three years license for avast! pro edition. The reseller send me an email with PDF attachment contain the license key.

I tried to copy-paste the license (as how it used to be on Home Edition, we just copy-paste from email). But it return and saying the license is invalid (in a pop up window). I tried couples time, but the result still the same, I don't know what to do, even after restarting my computer (without logic reason of course), I still found the same issue.

Then I noticed that the pasted code was not the same from the source code/key on the PDF file. It changed! I do not understand why. Then I manually entered/typed the license key. And it worked.

That is my story, I think that is my own mistake, but still I don't get it, how can the copy-pasted key could change ???
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline spi

• Poster
  • 1st Services
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:28 PM »
@Cahya >> don't trust your copy - paste, sometimes the white space have type into the license file. better if you do manual type the license

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit + avast Premium 11.1.2241
Network tools: Wireshark+CACE Pilot | Android Softphone + Grandstream UCM61xx | MI4i | Running Out of Time (1999)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:05:59 PM »
@ Cahya
I only have experience with the Home registration key which is in the email body. Why the reseller would complicate this by putting it in a PDF file is beyond me, perhaps to protect against it being copied ;D

It may simply be that copying from a PDF file also copies other underlying characters, it would also depend on the PDF reader (Adobe, etc.) as to how it reacts to copying text from it, protecting its protected status perhaps. I have no such problem with FoxIt PDF Reader, see below an extract from the user manual and it is an exact match.

Quote from: Extract from PDF
avast! antivirus is a collection of award winning, high-end technologies that work in perfect synergy, having one common goal: to protect your system and valuable data against computer viruses. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:09:50 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security