Author Topic: What is Spooler Subsystem App?  (Read 140149 times)

BRANDONN2008

What is Spooler Subsystem App?
« on: August 14, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »
I keep getting popups from ZoneAlarm about "Spooler Subsystem App" asking for internet access. I don't want to give it permission unless I know what it is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: What is Spooler Subsystem App?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:09:25 AM »
It's the printer list manager...
For instance, http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B810894&x=7&y=15
The best things in life are free.

MFB

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 02:46:01 AM »
Hi Brandonn2008,

The Spooler Subsystem App is a legitimate process as it manages your printer and fax systems.

The Spooler Subsystem App only needs internet access if you're using the printer on your network.  If your computer is directly connected to the printer or fax, you can safely deny it access to the internet.  

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:03:03 AM »
Huh, that's weird since I've never connected a printer to my PC.

MFB

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:44:20 AM »
Even if you've never made contact with a printer, it's still perfectly normal for the Spooler Subsystem app to request access to the internet. 

There's nothing to worry about.  When I was using Zone Alarm, I got the same request about the Spooler Subsystem App accessing the internet even though my pc is never connected to a printer.

CharleyO

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »

It's an easy fix within ZA. Next time the ZA popup appears for Spooler Subsystem App, click the checkbox for " Remember this ..." and then click the No button. You will not get the ZA popup for that program again unless you change the setting within ZA.