Poll

Which is better of the two?

OpenOffice
10 (52.6%)
Microsoft
9 (47.4%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: OpenOffice.org vs Microsoft  (Read 8928 times)

Black3agl3

OpenOffice.org vs Microsoft
« on: August 15, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
I would also wish to have as detailed a description of the advantages and disadvantages of the two as possible... :)

MFB

Re: OpenOffice.org vs Microsoft
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
Hi Balck3agl3,

A simple google search on "Open Office vs Microsoft Office" will give you the answer that you need.

In fact, this link came up first:
http://www.techsoup.org/learningcenter/software/page4765.cfm

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 11:47:34 PM »
Can't be compared.
Office is powerful, but it's paid.
OpenOffice is the best suite you can get for free. It's also crossplataform (Linux and Windows).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 12:12:15 AM »

That remains to be seen. ;)

Micro Soft might be hit were it hurts.

Updated: Microsoft is barred from selling any Microsoft Word products that can open XML files (.xml, .docx and .docm), according to a U.S. District Court ruling in favor of i4i, a small Canadian company that sued the software giant for patent infringement.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=22595

Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 02:32:22 AM »

For you maybe ;)
Something tells me fractals in Excel wont work with OpenOffice...(it only works with 2007)

-Scott-

speckledbird

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 06:12:33 AM »
With openoffice can you open word documents?

Alan Baxter

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 06:22:58 AM »

BRANDONN2008

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 07:16:41 AM »
I had OpenOffice installed by the shop that fixed my computer and I've used MS Office my whole life. OpenOffice has almost the same interface and button placement, and I easily can run OpenOffice files on Word, PowerPoint, etc, especially since you can save the file in MS Office formats.

Sesame

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:20:39 AM »
especially since you can save the file in MS Office formats.
True...  So, if you are unsure of shifting to OpenOffice.org, you can start with your less important documents first.  Also, this can be said to any applications but, checking the availability of portable version would be a good start for beginning to use a new application.  As the app itself is huge, it always takes time for the portable version to be updated, though.  Why not visit the official site...it contains quite lot of information.  Also, although I think English version is quite good but it also depends on the language you mainly use.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 03:06:57 PM »
I tried Open Office (an earlier version) and it infuriated me, if I opened a word document and then closed it without making any changes I would be asked if I wanted to save the changes. So it would seem that when it opens a word document in an old word version (MS Office 97, never saw a reason to update) it converts it.

That was a deal breaker for me and I haven't been back since as for me Office 97 wasn't broken, I only use Word and Excel and they both do what I need without undue bloat. So perhaps it wasn't a fair test by me as I didn't really need OO.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 03:08:33 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Confused Computer User

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • The answer is 42
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 03:46:56 PM »

For you maybe ;)
Something tells me fractals in Excel wont work with OpenOffice...(it only works with 2007)

-Scott-

That is true...

I'm stuck with MS since some of the files done in MS won't open properly in OO. By this I mean they will not have the same font or shape as they did in MS. That's my only issue.
Computer Systems:

Intel Pentium 4 641 / 2GB RAM / Vista Home Basic SP2 / avast! 5.0 Home / SAS Free / MBAM Free / Windows Defender / Windows Firewall / Spyware Blaster/ Secunia PSI / Firefox 3.6 / Opera 10.5

Core2Duo T8300 / 4GB RAM / Vista Home Premium SP2 (32 bit version) / Same Software.

Black3agl3

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 04:22:49 PM »
So, it seems most of the evangelists don't like openoffice... hmmm...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »
I'm using OpenOffice because it's free and i really don't need anything more. I don't even use OpenOffice fully...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

spg SCOTT

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 04:29:08 PM »
Yes I do - Its FREE...and it is portable (Rumpel's post)
But I use office more, because I always have - and it is more powerful...(my other post)

Pedro Hin

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »
I would also wish to have as detailed a description of the advantages and disadvantages of the two as possible... :)

I use both on different PCs. I have a laptop that is a few years old, and I find OpenOffice annoying simply because it takes too long to load. This brings to mind an interest in finding out if there is a way to prevent certain elements (that I may never use) from loading when all I want to do is put a few entries into a spreadsheet.

Also, as Confused Computer User mentioned, I too have a problem with some spreadsheets which were made in Excel. When I open them to print from OO, they don't print correctly. I can be certain that this is the result of Microsoft's purposeful attempt at 'breaking' compatibility with other applications which might use their documents.

I am not conspiracy-theorizing, I have worked in the PC support field for 12+ years, and have seen that Microsoft routinely does this to maintain the perceived value of their bread-and-butter applications.