Author Topic: FIXED Avast Install unsuccessful on Laptop running Win Vista please advise  (Read 4221 times)

Tamba1

I am hoping someone can help me out here -Like many others I decided to finally take jump to Avast from AVG 8.5 Free

I am Running Win Vis Home Premium 32 bit on Toshiba Satelite Pro A300 109 Capacity 160 GB - Free 27 GB , " GB RAM  

I Read LOTS of posts by various peeps incl Rogerman40 & Zoejoe on , How to do this, FAQs , Troubleshooting , and felt I was ready

Downloaded – Avast Home from -
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Rebooted

Went offline

In order to avoid potential problems of AVG files getting in teh way I used Appremove to remove ALL of AVG Free files easily ( this went smoothly no issues/errors raised )

Rebooted

Tried to install Avast ( r clicked on icon and Run as Administrator)

Avast seemed to install fine – but then msg popped up saying could not complete install

So closed Avast box

In order to get back online to seek support - Had to reinstall AVG Free –

Went back online and searched so far unsuccesfully for answer to install problem

Anyone have any ideas - ???

I look forward to your replies thanks in advance
Tamba1

« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 10:33:26 AM by Tamba1 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast Install unsuccessful on Laptop running Win Vista please advise
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 12:41:25 AM »
Did you first uninstall AVG8.5 before installing avast ?

AVG8.x Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tamba1

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 12:52:04 AM »
Hi yup I did uninstall AVG Free 1st

I used Appremover for this as I read somewhere it was better than AVGs uninstall more in theory ,more relable !!!!  :-\

http://www.appremover.com/about.html

Where do I go from  here - I really dont want to be using AVG Free and don't relish teh thought of an x hour scan in order to set it up again..

Tamba1
« Last Edit: August 17, 2009, 12:54:19 AM by Tamba1 »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:29:40 AM »
Try the uninstaller utility that DavidR suggested anyway.  There has to be some remnants left, as Win Vista has been thoroughly tested by lots of us, and so far there aren't any problems.

Give it a shot and tell us how it goes.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Tamba1

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:44:01 AM »
Hi scythe944 & David

Just to clarify in your last post you told me to try the AVG uninstaller Utility..

So are you saying I go back through the same steps again But THIS time use the AVG uninstaller instead of Appremover?

Thanks for your help - Tamba1

Tamba1

Hi Again -

followed your advice - but it seemed AVG files were still on PC and preventing Avast from installing

In meantime received some addit advice from another forum ( Majorgeeks) and in case this helps others  Here is how I finally got Avast to install

1. Do Standard Vista 'Programs and Features' > Uninstall AVG

2. Restarted system

3. Ran official AVG Removal tool for a 32 bit system

4. Restarted System

5. Ran AVG remover a second time

6. Restarted system

7. Searched Program Files and User Data files for any folders for AVG ( suprising how many found) and then DELETED THEM.

8. Ran 'CCleaner -  'Run Cleaner' and then its 'Registry Scan> Scanned for Issues > Selected Fix all Isuues' and did that 4/5 times until '0' issues  found.

9. After the above was finally able to install AVAST.

THANKS to everyone for their help & Support this is a gr8 Forum and chuffed to have now got Avast up and running  ;D

Try the uninstaller utility that DavidR suggested anyway.  There has to be some remnants left, as Win Vista has been thoroughly tested by lots of us, and so far there aren't any problems.

Give it a shot and tell us how it goes.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome, glad that you finally have it resolved and avast installed.

A belated welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Cool, and I'm glad that you got it sorted out.  As you might find from other posts in the forums, sometimes removing an Anti-virus can be as bad as removing a real virus!

As DavidR said, welcome to the forums, and I (we) hope you enjoy avast!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum