Author Topic: avast blog weird browsing behavior...  (Read 2737 times)

Hermite15

avast blog weird browsing behavior...
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:14:34 PM »
weird, I found this morning, through a google search, this page:
http://blog.avast.com/2009/08/17/linux-is-an-antivirus-by-itself/

but once you get back to the blog homepage and see the latest posts it's nowhere to be seen. Also, on the main page, a random post box appear on left hand side of the page while on the page with the article about Linux security, you can see a "latest posts" box. Mentioning too that the linux article doesn't appear in the August archives.

spg SCOTT

Re: avast blog weird browsing behavior...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
Can't get to the link - 404 error

I can't see any other issues, like yours...

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:38:06 PM »
here's the text that appeared on that page, wondering why it's been removed  ???

Well the header says it all. But I think many new Linux users who have recently switched from Windows might want a better explanation. So here we go.

Our company provides avast Linux home edition for free. Many users are asking, whether it has a resident scanner (indicated by the small blue ball you know from windows). The answer is simple. No, it doesn’t because it isn’t needed. I searched the web for any mentions of viruses that can infect Linux operating systems, and found this nice page with a list of Linux viruses and their threat level. To put it simply, there are no viruses that can infect Linux computers in the same way that Windows computers can be infected. Again, a simple explanation: Linux, as a GPL licensed product, can be fixed much faster than Windows systems, because it’s a userbase. So when some virus appears (usually with source code), the user will fix the exploit immediately. On the other hand, in Windows, it takes a long time to fix these errors, so viruses can spread through the exploit almost seamlessly.

So when a user gets a new netbook computer (usually pre-loaded with various Linux distributions) they really don’t need to install any antivirus at all.

It’s a bit different when you have a Linux server on a network, where windows computers/clients are also present. It is basic good practice for the administrator to scan all traffic that flows to the Windows machines. But if you use Linux as your desktop, then you really don’t need to worry. Linux is independently virus-safe.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 01:43:23 PM »
Who knows...looks fairly genuine

Maybe taken down to alter/fix/add to  it?

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »
I would add to be careful too if you dual-boot Linux and Windows, with Linux having access to NTFS partitions  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 04:32:10 PM »
Well a google still has the page in its results database Probably still in the archive somewhere too, though as you say the page has gone.

It was listed 6 hours ago (at time of my search) and looks like it was posted by one of the Alwil team, so it does seem genuine enough.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security