Author Topic: Is there a virus on my pc  (Read 7308 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Is there a virus on my pc
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
<snip>
Right, i'm using XP Windows,
<rearranged>
I am not using another firewall protection, just the windows built in one .

The windows XP firewall provides zero outbound protection:
Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (sensitive or otherwise, user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

The email i use is from my current provider AOL

The AOHell email program uses a proprietary protocol, not the standard email protocols (POP3 and SMTP) and for that reason avast's email scanner can't scan it. It can however, do as I said monitor outbound email not using that email program (e.g. a spambot).

Whilst AOHell tries to isolate customers from the real internet (they say protect), many of its applications don't conform to accepted internet standards. Far from isolating/protecting customers it leaves you less well protected, as security applications can't integrate with their proprietary protocols. Protocol is a set way of doing something.
Computer Science A standard procedure for regulating data transmission between computers.

Not using another Anti -virus protection, only using Avast on my system.

I regularly scan on standard, but today i'm doing a thorough scan to see if this will pick anything up.
<snip>

I doubt that a Thorough scan will reveal anything more, as the Standard scan checks this files most liable to be at risk of infection.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it periodically.

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

den21

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »

Hello DavidR

And thanks for expianing all of the above, i'm now reading it over again so i uderstand it abit better.

I've also downloaded the Anti -Malwarebytes  on my system as you recommended.

My results of my Thorough SCAN came back ( NO affected files found,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 03:46:04 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

den21

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 07:24:41 PM »

Hello DavidR

Thanks for giving me the firewall options that you recommed for extra protection, i went with ( Agnitum Outpost version, it downloaded quicky and i have had no problems with it so far, fingers crossed :-)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 07:26:50 PM »
No problem, good luck.

maxwachtel

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »
I also have had similar problems in the past (and continue to do so). Apparently, there is nothing I can do. My PC is clean, avast! scan is clean and so is MBAM. Gmail marks these e-mails from 'me' as spam.

From what I gather, other PCs / users to whom I have sent e-mail and am in their address book may have viruses / trojans which are spoofing the e-mail addresses. If I examine these headers, the e-mail is clearly not originating from gmail or my usual ISP smtp domains.

If anybody else has any suggestions to prevent this, I would be most appreciative.

no-if someone is spoofing you all you can do is report it to the ISP that it came from (pretty much useless)