Author Topic: Accidently deleted 3 system files, now I only have 2?  (Read 2743 times)

wlee43

Accidently deleted 3 system files, now I only have 2?
« on: August 18, 2009, 11:51:21 PM »
So after a scan, I had no viruses but went to system files and deleted 3 files that were there by accident. kernal32.dll and wsock32.dll for sure and the last one I think was winsock.dll from reading around this forum. I'm 100% sure that I deleted 3 files. After clicking repair in the control panel, I checked back to see and under system files there was only kernal32.dll and wsock.dll. I tried searching for winsock.dll everywhere but I couldn't find it. The closest thing I could find was winscockhc.dll. I then reinstalled avast to see if the 3 files were back but there is still only two. What should I do??  ???

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Accidently deleted 3 system files, now I only have 2?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:04:36 AM »
Check in avast chest:

virus chest > system files > you should see three files over there. all the three you mentioned. if it is there then click restore.

see pic.

assumption's for this post : all the three files are available in the chest. person asked for a way to get back the files(my analysis).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:08:12 AM by nmb »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:14:24 AM »
Don't worry, that files are there just for backup purposes. System files into Chest are backup ones.
Which is your Windows? Probably you need to backup only two.
The best things in life are free.

wlee43

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 12:23:34 AM »
Don't worry, that files are there just for backup purposes. System files into Chest are backup ones.
Which is your Windows? Probably you need to backup only two.

I have windows vista 64 bit. But then why did I have 3 earlier?

wlee43

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:24:53 AM »
Check in avast chest:

virus chest > system files > you should see three files over there. all the three you mentioned. if it is there then click restore.

see pic.

assumption's for this post : all the three files are available in the chest. person asked for a way to get back the files(my analysis).

I did have 3 before but I only have two after I deleted them and did repair