Author Topic: "[Provider] is still waiting for a subsystem to start." What's with this?  (Read 3122 times)

raven paradox

on my "On-Access Protection Control" screen the following message is displayed for
the "Web-Shield" and "Internet Mail" providers:
""[Provider] is still waiting for a subsystem to start."
I'm running Outlook Express, and the message displays for the "Internet Mail" provider whether that program is running or not.
It also displays for "Web Shield" whether or not I'm online.
I'm afraid that something is wrong and that I'm lacking protection in these vital areas.
Will be very grateful for any assistance.
Thank you.
raven paradox

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Hi raven paradox,

You could try a repair of Avast, via the control panel "add/remove programs". Locate the entry, select "change", and at the prompt, select "repair".

What OS do you use, what other AV has been on it in the past, and what other security is running now?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Hi, for Mail Scanner and WebShield this message is shown when their respective services are not running. Check the services control panel if "avast! Web Scanner" and "avast! Mail Scanner" services are installed and running.

The best way to ensure their proper installation is indeed the "repair" option from the setup package.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Just to mention that both services "avast! Web Scanner" and "avast! Mail Scanner" are set to Manual start by default (not automatic).
Also, is the problem appears on MS Outlook plugin, the only thing to do is running (opening) MS Outlook. The plugin will start after that.
The best things in life are free.