Author Topic: Feature request for avast! 5 versions with firewall  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
Feature request for avast! 5 versions with firewall
« on: August 20, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »
Hi all
I know there are other places I could have posted this but in order to "cut through", I started a new thread.

Can avast! 5 please have an uninstallation feature incorporated, whereby it at least tells the user that the Windows Firewall will be operational after uninstalling avast! Firewall?
Or a more sophisticated dialog that warns the user about the danger of not having an active firewall but then gives the option of leaving it off (or something like that).

One of the things that bugs me from time to time is security programs that don't put things back the way they were before, and/or, tell you what they have changed, when uninstalled.
Case in point. I recently had a call from someone who said they'd just uninstalled 'XXXXX Internet Security' and now some programs would no longer work.
After a bit of fishing I twigged as to what I thought might have happened and asked, "Did you use the Windows Firewall before installing XXXXX?" to which the answer was a vague, "I don't know."

Anyway, the short story is that way back when, rather than specifying exceptions for particular programs, the Windows Firewall had just been turned off.
When 'XXXXX Internet Security' was installed it asked for permissions, which were granted. When 'XXXXX Internet Security' was uninstalled, it reinstated the Window Firewall, without exceptions, and without notifying the user that this had been done, and the programs no longer worked.

Thanks

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25