Author Topic: Virus problem that Avast does not identify / fix  (Read 5361 times)

Offline spather

Virus problem that Avast does not identify / fix
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:23 AM »
Hi
I am desperately trying to fix a problem that I have identified.  I am running Avast Home (Win XP).  Avast has not identified any of the following, and I have picked up on them by chance.
I have found a few folders on my root drive installed as system folders, with the ffg names: "CNN", "BCC", "nIKalod", "NNITEDN", "rEdNuht".   (These are now also present on all my protable storage devices).
The contents of the folders show a recycle bin.  I have tried to delete these folders, but they simply reappear immediately after a delete OR XP returns a message "file in use by another program".  Commonly the file that is listed as in use is "orgapin.exe".
I have also found that an executable "Lic.exe" loads on startup. 

None of the above are listed in any of the virus databases.

Can anyone HELP please?  I am desperate - and also do not know the extent to which my machine is compromised.

Thanks
Shaun

Offline YoKenny

• Serious Graphoman
Re: Virus problem that Avast does not identify / fix
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:54:29 AM »
Welcome Shaun

First step is to download HijackThis then install and run it to produce a log then copy its log into a reply to this topic:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Autorun Eater is good to use to detect rogue autorun.inf on removable drives:
http://oldmcdonald.wordpress.com
E5200 2.5GHZ, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, avast! V9.0 Free, IE10
P4 2.8GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 40GB HD, XP Pro SP3 32bit, avast! V9.0 Free, Google Chrome
with hpHosts, MVPS HOSTS files, SpeedFan, WinPatrol PLUS

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
Shaun, just run Hijackthis and paste the log here.

Offline spather

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:30:39 AM »
hi Eddy / YoKenny
Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated.   I am rushing around now getting ready for a long work trip - and will follow up on this when I am back.  I am concerned though that the infection may be present on my portable storage -2 x flash drives and 1 USB hard drive - (which contains all my precious data) and which I need to take with me - any suggestions regarding  continued use of these - but not on my machine?

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »
Run Flash-disinfector or autorun eater (link above) which should give a good idea whether there is an infection on the pen drives.
That's a quick fix.
Best to scan the storage devices with an antispyware/AV, however. MBAM is very good.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.