Author Topic: Virus problem that Avast does not identify / fix  (Read 5778 times)

spather

Virus problem that Avast does not identify / fix
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:23 AM »
Hi
I am desperately trying to fix a problem that I have identified.  I am running Avast Home (Win XP).  Avast has not identified any of the following, and I have picked up on them by chance.
I have found a few folders on my root drive installed as system folders, with the ffg names: "CNN", "BCC", "nIKalod", "NNITEDN", "rEdNuht".   (These are now also present on all my protable storage devices).
The contents of the folders show a recycle bin.  I have tried to delete these folders, but they simply reappear immediately after a delete OR XP returns a message "file in use by another program".  Commonly the file that is listed as in use is "orgapin.exe".
I have also found that an executable "Lic.exe" loads on startup. 

None of the above are listed in any of the virus databases.

Can anyone HELP please?  I am desperate - and also do not know the extent to which my machine is compromised.

Thanks
Shaun

YoKenny

Re: Virus problem that Avast does not identify / fix
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:54:29 AM »
Welcome Shaun

First step is to download HijackThis then install and run it to produce a log then copy its log into a reply to this topic:
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/tools/security_tools/hijackthis/download

Autorun Eater is good to use to detect rogue autorun.inf on removable drives:
http://oldmcdonald.wordpress.com

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
Shaun, just run Hijackthis and paste the log here.

spather

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:30:39 AM »
hi Eddy / YoKenny
Many thanks for your advice - much appreciated.   I am rushing around now getting ready for a long work trip - and will follow up on this when I am back.  I am concerned though that the infection may be present on my portable storage -2 x flash drives and 1 USB hard drive - (which contains all my precious data) and which I need to take with me - any suggestions regarding  continued use of these - but not on my machine?

Cheers
Shaun

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 06:44:17 AM »
Run Flash-disinfector or autorun eater (link above) which should give a good idea whether there is an infection on the pen drives.
That's a quick fix.
Best to scan the storage devices with an antispyware/AV, however. MBAM is very good.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.