Author Topic: Lost Internet  (Read 5171 times)

DeathDealer

Lost Internet
« on: August 20, 2009, 03:27:34 PM »
Ok so this morning i turn  my computer on and my avast home version updates to a new version and tells me i need to restart so i do. Now after the restart i have no internet connection.

I tried turning off my firewall(zone alarm) and still no internet.

I tried turning off avast providers one at a time and still no internet.

I tried uninstalling avast through add/remove programs and restarted again-still no internet. What gives? I have no idea what to do now.

I have Windows xp pro sp3.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Lost Internet
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:43:41 PM »
Remove the avast entries of ZoneAlarm programs list.
Boot.
Allow avast to connect and update.
Seems a firewall glitch.

But, if you uninstall avast and the problem is still there, maybe it will be better to uninstall ZoneAlarm and install it again.
The best things in life are free.

DeathDealer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:09:02 PM »
I did uninstall zone alarm and restarted and still no internet.

When you say to remove avast entries of zone alarm in programs list do you mean in the registry? If so i'm gonna need a list of what to remove. I just looked and found an alwil software in hkey current users and one in hkey local machine-are those the the only ones or are their more?

DeathDealer

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »
oh duh you meant the entries in zonealarm nevermind lol

ya i uninstalled zone alarm and i still have no internet so now what.

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
Have you tried a system restore to a earlier point than you had trouble with the internet? and try a repair of avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 04:26:38 PM »
When you say to remove avast entries of zone alarm in programs list do you mean in the registry?
No, into ZA settings. If you uninstall it, never mind.

But, are you sure it's not a network problem with this computer?
Can you test with another computer in this connection?
The best things in life are free.

DeathDealer

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:02 PM »
Have you tried a system restore to a earlier point than you had trouble with the internet? and try a repair of avast?

I dont have a restore point to use.

edit: I did try to do a repair of avast though before i uninstalled it and still no internet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 04:42:05 PM by DeathDealer »

DeathDealer

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
When you say to remove avast entries of zone alarm in programs list do you mean in the registry?
No, into ZA settings. If you uninstall it, never mind.

But, are you sure it's not a network problem with this computer?
Can you test with another computer in this connection?

I'm on another computer here right now using the same internet and it works-so the problem is not my internet--the problem didn't arise until i restarted after this avast program update.

Offline jl747

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 05:03:54 PM »
Did you look in the Device Manager to make sure your NIC card is working?
Try an IP renew or refresh.
Just a suggestion.
Windows 10 Pro - Avast 18.4.2338 - Vivaldi 1.15.1147.xx
Zone Alarm Free Firewall

DeathDealer

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »
Did you look in the Device Manager to make sure your NIC card is working?
Try an IP renew or refresh.
Just a suggestion.

Device manager says this device is working properly.

I tried to repair the connection-but still no internet.

I opened the command prompt and typed ipconfig /release and then shut down my computer and my router and my cable modem.

Turned on the cable modem.
Turned on the router.
Turned my computer back on.

Now i have internet!

But now i have a new problem--i cannot install zone alarm or avast??? What the HECK??

edit: Avast simply says there was an error and the setup cannot be completed???

edit #2: There was an error during the setup process is the exact message it gives--i tried downloading a new avast home setup.exe but it gives the same error. I got the download from the avast website.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 06:11:37 PM by DeathDealer »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 06:13:07 PM »
ZoneAlarm can be hard to uninstall completely.  I just uninstalled it from my mother-inlaw's WinME computer.  First, I set ZA to not start up with Windows and then restarted the computer.  Then to Add/Remove and uninstalled ZA from there.  Fortunately, that worked to prevent it from running anymore.  Za was a version 7.x which was quite old.  Uninstalling ZA with active components of it still running doesn't work, but will remove the interface.

The odd thing is that the combination of Avast 4.8.1351 and ZA allowed Pegasus Mail, SpywareBlaster, and Spybot Search & Destroy to access the internet without problems.  The machine would hang when trying to load Firefox or Opera.  It also would hang when starting Crap Cleaner.  The machine would have to be restarted by hitting the reset button.  Avast could do a complete scan, and update it's definitions.  After removing ZA, everything is fine.  She's behind a router and does nothing risky, so I'm hopeful. :-\
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

DeathDealer

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
Well at the moment i can't get setupeng.exe to even download for avast-i even tried to download aswClear.exe and ran it and then tried to install avast again but i still get the same error during the setup process message.

I also tried the zonealarm removal tool but i could'nt get that damned thing to run either.

edit: Ok i had 4.7 version of setupeng.exe on my computer so i tried running it--it installed no problem and then after a restart updated itself to the latest version of 4.8.1351 no problem so that problem is solved--i suppose i will hop on over to the zone alarm forums and try to get that running now.

Thanks for all your help
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 07:03:47 PM by DeathDealer »

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 07:11:43 PM »
Well at the moment i can't get setupeng.exe to even download for avast-i even tried to download aswClear.exe and ran it and then tried to install avast again but i still get the same error during the setup process message.

I also tried the zonealarm removal tool but i could'nt get that damned thing to run either.

edit: Ok i had 4.7 version of setupeng.exe on my computer so i tried running it--it installed no problem and then after a restart updated itself to the latest version of 4.8.1351 no problem so that problem is solved--i suppose i will hop on over to the zone alarm forums and try to get that running now.

Thanks for all your help

Booting XP into Safe Mode may help with running the removal and install programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

DeathDealer

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 08:29:36 PM »
Booting XP into Safe Mode may help with running the removal and install programs.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222

I guess i should have tried safe mode for that-it might have saved some headache--but as it turns out all i had to do was install and older version of avast and then let it update itself to the latest version. Don't ask me why things work this way but i've done it with other programs and it seems to work-sometimes. >shrug<

As for zone alarm i downloaded zaSetup 80 298 000 en.exe and it installed with no problems even though i couldn't get the removal tool to work.

Consider this case closed.