Author Topic: newbie, need some info  (Read 4232 times)

murt

newbie, need some info
« on: May 28, 2004, 06:02:57 PM »
 ;D Hi everyone
I just downloaded the free version cuz my other antivirus wasn't working.  Avast found 20 trojan on my computer.  The problem is I cannot get into my email to get new mail and when the computer is left on the siren goes off and says I have a new virus.  Can you get viruses just by leaving your comp hooked up to the internet?  Is this normal?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:newbie, need some info
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 06:51:28 PM »
Hi murt and welcome,

1. Yes you can get a virus simply by being conected to the internet. Do you have a firewall? MS Blaster being the most infamous one.

2. I would say that it would be normal if you didn't have protection, but with protection you are at least geting warnings.

You don't say what your Operating System is, most probably windows of some form. You should be visiting the windows update site at least once a month to keep upto date with patches/fixes, etc.

There a huge number of known vulnerabilities in windows and unless you patch these vulnerabilities (critical updates) your computer is vulnerable.

You need to let us know some more about your problems with your email in order for us to help, such as.

What email program you are using - the error mesages you are getting when you try to use it, etc.

But your first port of call should be the avast help file by clicking windows Start button>All Programs>Avast>Help, if its not their them it can be found in windows explorer
"c:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ENGLISH\HELP\help.chm" that is assuming you have the english version otherwise the \ENGLISH\ needs to be changed to your language.

HTH David
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004, 07:01:56 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

murt

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 07:22:25 PM »
the email is outlook express and windows xp
the error has something to do with the pop1 mail server.
thank you for your responce you were alot of help, i will try the firwall.  I used to have one but when my computer crashed in september i must have forgot to do that again when it was all reconfigured.
again thanks, if you have any other suggestions they would be greatly appreciated

techie101

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2004, 07:52:37 PM »
murt,

Some suggestions on free firewalls:
Zone Alarm
Sygate
Kerio

AS David has said, you most certainly can get a virus by only being "connected" to the internet.  Your computer can be "scanned" by third parties and a virus sent to it.  That is what a good fw prevents.

Once you have an FW in place, then run a full Avast scan and remove all viri.  

I would also suggest a good anti-spyware program like Adaware or Spybot SD.

Good luck,
Techie

whocares

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2004, 08:13:40 PM »
Your computer can be "scanned" by third parties and a virus sent to it.  That is what a good fw prevents.

OT:
Really, Techie ? ;D ;D ;)

with a firewall, you just have more fun then, when you see Blaster & Sasser trying to enter your PC in vain..

;) 8)

techie101

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 11:08:29 PM »
whocares,

Yes, it is fun when an FW, AV or anti-spyware stop one of those little buggers!   :)

Some of the newer forum visitors may not be as advanced as some of us, so I try to give somewhat of a more lenghty explanation a times, and recommendations where appropriate.

Take Care,
Techie