Author Topic: Avast 4 free will not run on my PC..  (Read 5001 times)

Comp01

Avast 4 free will not run on my PC..
« on: May 28, 2004, 09:16:19 PM »
I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, or if there is no support for this version (If there isn't, just delete this message) - however, I recently tried to install Avast 4 free, I restarted my PC, and I couldn't get the resident shield turned on, then when I tried to run the actual scanner, I couldn't get it to load, it had an error (I don't remember the specific one, sorry) Is there a way to resolve this? My PC's setup is:
566Mhz Celeron
64MB RAM
Windows 98SE (All security patches)
Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 (All security patches)
The only other programs I had running at the time was DiamondCS's RegProt, and Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Avast 4 free will not run on my PC..
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2004, 09:36:47 PM »
Nope,this IS a support forum,so feel free to ask whatever you want regarding avast!. You can also use Search function to check if the info was already posted.

Hm,i assume that DiamondCS's RegProt blocked Startup values.
Turn it off,uninstall avast!,install avast! again. I'm not quiet sure how Regprot works,but its probably blocking new startup values set by avast! installer.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

techie101

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2004, 11:40:26 PM »
..... if there is no support for this version
You will find support on just about every version of Avast here and support for other anti-virus and firewall stuff in the General Forum.

I recently tried to install Avast 4 free, I restarted my PC, and I couldn't get the resident shield turned on
Sometimes this is caused by a poor installation and/or a corrupted file.

then when I tried to run the actual scanner, I couldn't get it to load, it had an error
Please make not of any error messages before you come onto the forum.  It is a great help in determining the cause of you difficulties.  However, I would suspect that you received a "process error code" which only means that Avast could not start the scan engine or similar, or a "server down error" which is part of the Avast update process.  Since the program was not running, a proper connection to the Avast server could not be attained.

My PC's setup is:
566Mhz Celeron
64MB RAM
Windows 98SE (All security patches)
Internet Explorer 5.5 SP2 (All security patches)
The only other programs I had running at the time was DiamondCS's RegProt, and Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5

Your system configuration is more than sufficient to run Avast.

Ah...I see a potential cause.  Sygate is very sensitive to allowing connections such as those Avast needs.  You must grant Avast access to the internet.  You will normally have to give (3) exe files access:
ashServ
ashmaisv
ashdisp

I msyelf am not familiar with Diamond CS but Rej seems to have a grasp on it, so follow his advice with that.

Keep us informed.

Techie

Comp01

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 01:18:56 AM »
Well, RegProt asks what registry keys to allow (Only the Run registry keys, nothing else), and I did allow all of avasts regkeys, the icons were showing up in the systray, however, I couldn't enable the protection, I uninstalled Avast! since then, I am going to re-download it, and reinstall it now, and make a note of the error message (If I get one).

techie101

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 04:03:11 AM »
Comp,

Hopefully, a clean install will do it.
Thanks for the info on DiamondCS.

If you DO get an error message, provide the complete message and path if noted.

Good luck,
Techie

watchthisspace

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 08:43:46 AM »
Hi Comp01,
When you start the computer dos the Avast! ball have a red circle on the bottom left? because on my brothers computer at start up it has a little redcircle and after 2 minutes it goes away and avast! is working,the error is a Rpc error i think.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 01:45:43 PM »
The error is a Rpc error i think.

If so, you must 'repair' your avast installation (through Control Panel) or, if this not work, uninstall and install again (do not forget to boot...)  8)
The best things in life are free.

bassbag

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2004, 11:42:58 PM »
As a 98se user and someone who has used regprot for a year or two,ive found that it can sometimes cause certain problems when using programmes like index.dat suite (freeware which cleans locked index.dat files in 98)which write to the run keys.Sometimes it would not write to registry even though it said it had and regprot didnt popup.On disabling regprot it wrote to the registry every time.I now use spybot 1.3 teatimer.exe which is similar to  regprot (uses very little resources too)but seems to handle the writes better.You may wish to consider it.Also 64 meg or ram isnt a lot as windows operating sytem probably consumes around 32 meg just running.You will notice a difference by installing 256 of ram (probably best to try two 128 sticks as although some of the older motherboards say they can take extra ram ..they rarely can in one stick)which is quite cheap now.I also personally wouldnt have the firewall running when installing avast as both tend to hook into low level routines , and 98 doesnt handle that as well as the later OSs.
me

CharleyO

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2004, 04:30:49 AM »

I agree with Bassbag about the memory. I also use W98SE fully patched & updated. I had absolutely no problems installing and running all parts of avast!4 home. But, then, I also have 640 megs of ram which is probably more than I need. But, I have no problems with running whatever programs I want or need to run. There are over 20 processes running after start-up with 8 icons on the Taskbar ... not counting the clock.    :)  

One other thing I see in your setup. Upgrading to IE6 will be better than IE5.5 but get more ram first. Then visit Windows Update site for IE6.    :)