Author Topic: difference in scanning with "advanced view" ?  (Read 6505 times)

Waldo

difference in scanning with "advanced view" ?
« on: June 13, 2003, 09:51:54 AM »
I'm a user of Avast4.0 Pro and I have a question,

normaly when i use do a full system scan (torough) with scanning of archives (using simple view) the scan takes about 30 minutes...(always the same)

But last night i used the "advanced view" setting and i did a full sytem scan with it. Settings : ALL archives,
ALL files, Torough, and all other possibel other settings to make the scan as "DEEP" as possibel.

But now the scan took more than 50 minutes ?

What is the differnce then (method and settings) in the simple view or advanced if you both setup for a "DEEP" as possibel scan ??

I guess the "advanded view" can be setup to search better (deeper) than the simple scanner...But why is this ? If you only have AVAST! Home edition you can't search for virusses in the same way as People using the Pro version ? Schouldn't the "torough" scan in Simple view and advanced view be the same ?

Why does it have to be diferent  ?

Greets,

Waldo :)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:difference in scanning with "advanced view" ?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 10:10:53 AM »
Couldn't it be the scanning of CAB archives, that (as you certainly know :)) is included in Pro version only?

Waldo

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 10:29:54 AM »
That has not really anything to do with it  ;)

I'm not talking about the difference  between Home & PRO edition...But about the difference between simple view and advanced view   in PRO edition. if you command a Full scan in advanced view it takes much longer than in simple view with setting "as deep as possibel" (torough).

Thats the thing that confuses me...

Thanks anyway...

Waldo

« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 10:33:33 AM by Waldo »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2003, 10:44:56 AM »
Well, actually you asked about it ;)  (If you only have AVAST! Home edition you can't search for virusses in the same way as People using the Pro version?).
Anyway, to me it looks like the Simple User Interface doesn't scan CAB archives, no matter if you have Home or Pro version - but I could be wrong of course...

Waldo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2003, 11:09:22 AM »
well, it could be possibel what you said, that the simple view/scanner doesn't scan ALL archives or just doesn't scan CAB's....could be...could be....

But shouldn't the setting (in simple view) "Scan local harddisk" "torough" "inside archives" mean that it will scans ALL archives the scanner knows?

Why should a man, have to search/dig into the "advanced view" (and command the scan/task from here) to make AVAST4.0 Pro scan for ALL archives ? makes no sence...does it ?

My feeling goes, that the advanced view/interface (with tourough scan options) scans deeper (and longer) than the "same" settings in simple user interface...

Waldo.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 11:15:49 AM by Waldo »

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2003, 01:48:17 PM »
Differences between settings you are talking about are:
- by default avast! Professional Edition scans only some archives. When you check "All archives" avast! will try to recognize all known archives a tries to scan their content.
- only files that can be infected are tested by default settings of avast! If you choose "all files" avast! will scan really all found files on your harddrive (or whatever you are scanning). So for example text files (.txt) or pictures (.jpg, .gif, .bmp, ...) are also scanned for virus samples.
- avast! does not check whole files by default, it scans its begin and end as viruses mostly infects only these file parts. There is a settings "Test whole files" in task settings that you can enable and avast! will check whole files.

If you have checked mentioned check boxes avast! will need much more time to scan your harddrive. The reasons of it are:
- scanning of 50000 files will take much more time then scanning of 20000 files,
- expanding archives results into more files to be scanned,
- scanning some 16 KB from each file will take more time then scanning them whole

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2003, 01:52:39 PM »
simple user interface is designed to be simple as much as possible. defaults of it and enhanced user interface tasks are optimized for performance and suits needs by most of users.
Of course you can change settings of scanner but (except settings of archives) I do not see much sense of it.

Waldo

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2003, 01:55:17 PM »
Well, Roman, the answer you gave, solved all my questions.

I'm a happy man ! Look >  ;D

Thanks !
« Last Edit: June 13, 2003, 01:57:27 PM by Waldo »

Offline Roman Svihalek

• Avast team
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2003, 01:58:28 PM »
You are welcome...

I am happy too -->    :D