Author Topic: uninstalling...AGAIN  (Read 3661 times)

pappap999

uninstalling...AGAIN
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »
OK so I tried to remove avast using the AVAST tool..and I did go to the forum for help...and you did reply with help...but god when I said I was pc literate on a scale of 1-10...I meant on the lower part of the scale closer to a 1..at least compared to you guys..please assume I am a total idiot!!!..now go from there...slowly..you say boot..and several other terms.., is there any way of explaining all of this so even I can understand. take pity on this old man.. and yes you can put me down but again please do it after you help me uninstall avast...I am now able to use maafee which comes with comcast free.  thanks!!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: uninstalling...AGAIN
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 03:16:31 AM »
Hi pappap 999.
Here is the thread you are talking about.
If it seems complicated, we can talk you through it step by step, no trouble.
(It would have been better to continue posting on your original thread. Maybe I'll just get a moderator to merge these threads, make it easier to follow.)

What operating system is your computer?
Do you have any other security programs installed?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

pappap999

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:44:57 PM »
sorry I should have posted on original thread--I have vista home- and I am trying to place mcafee on as it comes free?? with comcast--but mcafee will not or cannot complete download until avast is removed so now I am getting bombarded with all kinds of protection stuff--ty

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »
First, download the Avast uninstall utility (aswClear.exe). Save the file to your desktop.
This tutorial for starting Vista in safe mode is taken from the PCHell link posted by DavidR on your other thread. I have edited it slightly.
Windows Vista is similar to Windows XP for starting in Safe Mode.

* Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
    * Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
    * Wait a few seconds for the screen to load, then ensure that the Safe mode option is selected (the top option)
    * Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
    * When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.
Safe mode is a vary limited operating mode that only loads the essential items to run. Programs/files that can not be modified in normal mode can often be altered in safe mode. That is the reason for doing this.

When you are in safe mode, run the aswClear.exe file by double clicking it. It will take a few seconds to run.
When finished, restart the computer. (It should restart into normal mode. If it doesn't, select "normal" from the list, press enter.)
Avast will be removed. McAfee should then be able to be downloaded and installed.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 09:13:24 AM »
McAfee should then be able to be downloaded and installed.

However, I don't (as many others will probably agree) suggest that.  Trust me McAfee is in no way better than avast, even if it IS free.

Then again, you can make this decision on your own, it's your computer.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

pappap999

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
well I really have no choice right now-- I have no coverage virus wise--.  and somehow green av has invaded me --and god help me trying to get rid of that has been a headach. I will try the safe mode.. crazy thing I call comcast for help and they took some time to find a telephone # for avast--the are somewhere in the czeck republic yeah I know it is spelled wrong but at least I gave it a try not bad for a pc dummy. 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
Please download to your desktop MBAM (click on the blue download button).
After it is downloaded double click the file to install it. This will take a minute or two.
Once installed, run it, update it, and perform a quick scan.
Place a check mark in each box for anything found, and press "remove selected".

You can not connect a Windows computer to the internet, even for a minute, without antivirus protection, or the chances of infection are quite high.
You should also check that the firewall is turned on.
Let us know what you want to do.
If you choose to use Avast and remove McAfee, there is a removal too for McAfee, too.