Author Topic: Questions about information on Warning and Error notifications  (Read 4131 times)

naldymay

The following information was given under Error after scan was run:  Application 4664 - Description Error in aswChestC: Chest AddFile Error 23.

the following information was given under "Warning" after scan:  System Application 1740 - function setiface update packages () has failed.  Return code is 0x20000004

Can anyone tell me please what these two items mean and do I need to do something?   

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Questions about information on Warning and Error notifications
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:10:38 AM »
naldymay, welcome to the forum.

Did you have an antivirus installed on this system before you installed avast, if so how did you remove it?

It's quite possible that there are remnants of an old antivirus that are causing problems.

O/S version information may help us too (Microsoft Windows XP SP3 for example).

Thanks!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 03:40:00 PM »
If the Error after scan was run:  Application 4664 - Description Error in aswChestC: Chest AddFile Error 23, is a windows file system error then error 23 = Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

The two errors seem unrelated and the second is one that I wouldn't worry about as for some reason and there could be many the update check failed.
Function setifaceUpdatePackages() has failed. Return code is 0x20000004, dwRes is 20000004. 

I have many of these on occasion, but the update process tries again, only start to worry if you get 'hard' errors displayed to the screen on a regular basis, e.g. the Red pop-up window indicating the update failed.

What is the infected file name which was being sent to the chest, where was it found e.g. (C:\windows\system32\infected-file-name.xxx) ? 
Check the avast! Log Viewer (right click the avast 'a' icon), Warning section, this contains information on all avast detections. C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashLogV.exe

- Or check the source file using notepad C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Warning.log and copy and paste the entry.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naldymay

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
AVG anitvirus was previously used.  Deleted by requesting uninstall under programs.  I noticed that several files do not completely uninstall and am trying to learn how programs are identified in different ways to remove the files that don't unistall and go into some sort of "hibernation".

Thank all of you for comments, suggestion and "things" to look at. Will check each response to see how it works.    (i may get frustrated and be back) but again thanks everyone.  I am very computer illiterate.

naldymay

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:09:15 PM »
How do I remove remnants of old programs such as AVG, Spybot etc?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:26:51 PM »
REMOVE AVG - AVG8.x Remover, download tool from here, http://www.avg.com/download-tools there is a 32bit and 64 bit windows version, ensure you use the correct one (I would imagine yours is a 32bit Windows OS).

Any answers to the question I asked earlier as that helps us to help you ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

naldymay

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »
I don't think it was an infected file, I think I tried to move the file by error....  Hiowever if I come up with answers I will definately respond.  Thank you for AVG uninstall info

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »
You're welcome.