Author Topic: ashServ.exe memory usage  (Read 94112 times)

Joost

Re: ashServ.exe memory usage
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2009, 03:47:45 PM »
@Laskaris.
The problem in the task manager is indeed about "VM Size" and not "Mem Usage". But when the virtual memory size is 1.5GB (like I had after 1 day) I can guarantee you that my system was VERY slow. So it is a problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2009, 03:56:18 PM »
Not so sure, but seems that version 5 manages memory better...
The best things in life are free.

Laskaris

« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2009, 04:24:22 PM »
Not so sure, but seems that version 5 manages memory better...

You don't help guys here with their problem (ok, neither do I). Avira Antivir manages memory better already and is not in beta phase... just to let you know  ;D

zerospam

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
I'm seeing this too. VM usage is up to 390MB after 4 days of use with all the shields enabled but P2P, IM, and Outlook. I'm using 4.8.1351 with VPS 8/17.

pluft

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2009, 05:30:07 AM »
Add me to the memory leak list too.  I have been noticing increased virtual memory usage over the last week or so.  This may have been going on longer, but i doubt it.  I monitor my memory usage regularly.  I started noticing memory usage was going up and up, then determined the culprit was AshServ.  At one point ashServ was up to  400M after a few days of use.  After a reboot AshServ will run for a while under 40M, but then suddenly starts increasing. 

I'm sure you'll fix this.  I'd also like to say thank you for providing a wonderful product at no charge.  Avast has caught a multitude of viruses and trojans for me over the years.

Cheers,

Pat

keir

« Reply #80 on: September 04, 2009, 10:25:17 PM »
I also have noticed this only in recent weeks - when I notice it's above 1GB I restart the service.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2009, 01:18:49 AM »
There will be one more 4.8.x update targeting this issue next week.
Sorry for the troubles.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Laskaris

« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2009, 02:52:16 PM »
Now i have this problem too....almost 200 MB in 48 h.. Thx for your feedback vlk, we are waiting for "patch" this week.

JefC

« Reply #83 on: September 06, 2009, 09:31:24 PM »
Hi guys, so I'm also joining the list of "victims"  ;)

First thing I did coming back from holiday is to update avast program to version 4.8.1351, and then troubles started immediately.
I'm using Firefox and am crazy about tabs, I often open 20-30 at a time. Following this, computer started to slow down and I noticed that ashServ.exe is taking about 700MB of virtual memory, which makes my computer swap immediately since I only have 1GB of RAM.

Obviously this looks like some kind of memory leak, it's the first time I've seen this kind of problem in avast.

Reading all the posts I wanted to say that I don't believe they don't take the problem seriously, just there are a wide range of hardware, many different software could interract and cause a trouble. Moreover, the fact that we're a few here having a setup that reproduces the problem doesn't mean that it could also be reproduced easily on setups used by the avast team. Working as a QA engineer, I can tell you this is not always so obvious, even when you have dumps or logs for analyses  ;)

So, I'm also impatiently waiting for the new build, but I do believe that avast is a software of the highest quality.

Let the programmer who never makes bugs throw the first stone  ;D

pete319

« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2009, 11:26:51 AM »
Sorry for the troubles.

Thanks for the update Vlk  :)
Have been reading this thread with interest.

wiktorn

« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
Put the memory dump as ashServ_memory_leak_001.zip, when ashServ is about 128MB,

Cheers,

Wiktor

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #86 on: September 09, 2009, 03:00:59 PM »
Sorry for the troubles.

Mr. Vlk, any news regarding the said update?
thanks in advance.

harold

Laskaris

« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2009, 11:19:44 AM »
i am afraid it won't be any update addressing this issue. Problem is already very old and nonone was able to fix it since long time. I dug this out:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32179.0
I must admit I didn't use avast for a long time (few years in favour of Avira) and really think it is pretty good software but deffinetly with problem of VM usage for long time now. It does affect perfomrance sometimes on some mashines, sometimes not (not on mine) but problem is there. It should be better to tell us that problem cannot be fixed and that priority lies on version 5.0 now. We can understand it far better than some kind of promisses made and after that nothing done.

with best regards,

M.

lindley09

« Reply #88 on: September 10, 2009, 11:46:45 AM »
Same problem, only been a problem since i updated avast a few days ago..

after about 2 days, avast uses about 1.5Gig of RAM out of 3GB. Which is terrible to be honest,

Ash serv is currently using 1GB, in a few hours it will have gotten to about 1.3gb.

thanks

Joost

« Reply #89 on: September 10, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »
i am afraid it won't be any update addressing this issue. Problem is already very old and nonone was able to fix it since long time. I dug this out:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=32179.0
This is about another process. This problem is another problem. We all have this problem here recently with the new version. I now installed an older version of Avast and I don't have the problem anymore.

So there is no reason to think they should lie about it.