Author Topic: ashServ.exe memory usage  (Read 93530 times)

Laskaris

Re: ashServ.exe memory usage
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2009, 12:45:28 PM »
Sorry, my mistake and i really appologize although there was problem with memory leak also so it was not totaly out of point. No, I do not say or refer they are lying but priority is for sure on version 5 and that is understandable to me. In my opinion, guys are very friendly and forum overall very very good,  I can live without this update/or with older version till version 5.
Where can we download the previous version? I would really give it a try till update comes out. If someone can upload it somewhere and / or share it would be great.

with best regards,

M.

Joost

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »
Where can we download the previous version? I would really give it a try till update comes out. If someone can upload it somewhere and / or share it would be great.
I had the installation file for the previous version (4.8.1335) on my computer. I removed avast completely and then installed the older version. I don't know if you can find it already somewhere, but I uploaded it somewhere for you, here is the link.

http://kej.be/avast.exe

(To developers: Sorry if we are not allowed to do this, if so let me know and I will remove the file.)

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2009, 09:25:09 PM »
There will be one more 4.8.x update targeting this issue next week.
Sorry for the troubles.

Mr. Vlk, any news regarding the said update?
thanks in advance.

harold

sorry for being impatient, but will there be really an update for the current version 4.8? or the update will be towards 5.0?
thanks in advance.

harold

Laskaris

« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2009, 09:46:05 PM »
I had the installation file for the previous version (4.8.1335) on my computer. I removed avast completely and then installed the older version. I don't know if you can find it already somewhere, but I uploaded it somewhere for you, here is the link.

http://kej.be/avast.exe

(To developers: Sorry if we are not allowed to do this, if so let me know and I will remove the file.)

Thx man. I tought nobone is going to attach it somewhere so I googled a little bit and found already. Thx for your effort. i am downloading now your file too for you were so kind to share.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2009, 10:04:28 PM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Joost

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade.

Why isn't it a good idea?

Anyway I didn't follow all your steps (I think I only booted once (or not)), but the problem is "solved" for me.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2009, 02:07:23 AM »
Downgrading to an earlier version isn't good if one of the reasons for the upgrade was a security update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Joost

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2009, 03:44:57 AM »
Downgrading to an earlier version isn't good if one of the reasons for the upgrade was a security update.

The new version doesn't work, so the old one is better.

----------------
Version 4.8.1351
August 17, 2009
improvements in some unpackers (WinExec, Installers, Droppers)
various fixes and improvements in the scanning engine
Standard Shield: stability improvements in the kernel-mode drivers
preparations for smoother migration to v5 (when it's released)
Version 4.8.1335
February 5, 2009
----------------

Where is "Security update"? It's about stability improvements. I only see "fixes" in the scanning engine (not so clear what it means, but I don't think security updates).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:46:39 AM by Joost »

Laskaris

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »
Hello,

Joost and Tech thx again for the links. In changelog file I also don't see "security update" so I guess it is all about speed of scanning engine, stability etc. AV definitions can be downloaded normally. Everything runs very good. After 15 hours ashServ takes cca 32 Mb of VM what is really acceptable. For me problem is solved (it would be better with new update but it's OK) till version 5 is out (hopefully end of october). I would really like to stay with Avast - it is simply more complete product than AVIRA Personal (used for almost 2 years).

regs,

M

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
It's not a good idea to downgrade... Anyway, I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Use Avast Uninstall for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Stay off-line (not connected to Internet)
6. Install again the old version: http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/
7. Boot.
8. Register avast (insert the registration key).
9. Uncheck the programs updates (set to manual).
10. Only then connect to Internet (go on-line).
11. Check and post the results.

tech,

good day!
with your post, does it mean that the update for fixing this problem as per posted by Mr.Vlk last week for the 4.8 version is not coming anymore?
thanks in advance.

harold
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 08:01:38 PM by hsobrevilla02 »

Joost

« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2009, 01:22:40 PM »
Joost and Tech thx again for the links.

Thanks  ;).

I still hope there will be an update soon. If not, I hope they will not be in a hurry to bring out version 5, so there are no problems with that new version.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2009, 04:59:45 PM »
techlink,

good day!
with your post, does it mean that the update for fixing this problem as per posted by Mr.Vlk last week for the 4.8 version is not coming anymore?
thanks in advance.

harold

No, the update will still be coming, unless specifically said so by a ALWIL team member. (which I doubt would happen anyway..)
Tech just gave the re-install procedure for those that wished to revert back to the older version...

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #102 on: September 11, 2009, 08:03:44 PM »

No, the update will still be coming, unless specifically said so by a ALWIL team member. (which I doubt would happen anyway..)
Tech just gave the re-install procedure for those that wished to revert back to the older version...
[/quote]

is that so?
sorry for misunderstanding.
any news when that update would be coming?
thanks in advance.

harold

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #103 on: September 11, 2009, 10:47:13 PM »
Sorry for any confusion I've made.
The update on version 4.8 seems to be on the way (next week?).
I just posted about downgrading... At least I've though somebody wants to downgrade.
The best things in life are free.

popish

« Reply #104 on: September 13, 2009, 12:27:13 AM »
Isn't this week over yet ?

What happened to the update ?