Author Topic: ashServ.exe memory usage  (Read 93545 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Ăśberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: ashServ.exe memory usage
« Reply #105 on: September 13, 2009, 12:33:18 AM »
Still Saturday here in Europe and next week is 24hrs+ away not to mention it may not be the first minute of next week.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #106 on: September 13, 2009, 03:12:57 PM »
Still Saturday here in Europe and next week is 24hrs+ away not to mention it may not be the first minute of next week.

hopefully the "said next week" would "really" be this week.
if still this week the update will not come,maybe i`l just have to wait for october for avast V5.
thanks.

harold

emrys

« Reply #107 on: September 13, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »
i'm using Professional, and also experiencing this issue.  i've just fired off an email to the tech support address.  i, too, am a software developer, frequently running Eclipse with 20 or 30 files open and being edited, along with FF v3.0.x running with 15 to 40 open tabs.  having to restart the avast services 2 or 3 times a day is simply unacceptable, especially when the restart fails as much as a third of the time, and i'm forced to reboot the machine because i've been left with a 900Mb zombie process that can't be killed.

i've been fighting with this bug since august 7th.  this is way out of control.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2009, 12:49:43 AM »
Sorry, the current plan is to have the new update pushed out by Tuesday.

As a temporary work around for the users of the professional edition - the problem will go away if you disable the GZIP unpacker in the Web Shield's settings. To do this, open the avast Enhanced User Interface, go to the Tasks folder, right click the Resident Protection task, go to the Web Shield section and there, on the Packers page, uncheck the GZIP option.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to do the same in the avast Home Edition user interface.

Thanks much for your patience,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2009, 11:41:42 AM »

As a temporary work around for the users of the professional edition - the problem will go away if you disable the GZIP unpacker in the Web Shield's settings. To do this, open the avast Enhanced User Interface, go to the Tasks folder, right click the Resident Protection task, go to the Web Shield section and there, on the Packers page, uncheck the GZIP option.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to do the same in the avast Home Edition user interface.

Thanks much for your patience,
Vlk

thank you Mr.Vlk!
actually I was waiting for your response in this topic
thanks again for the info.

harold

emrys

« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2009, 06:35:14 PM »

okay, just switched options around so i could uncheck GZip.  working set size is currently 23,712K, and commit size is 153,924K.  we'll see how it looks in a couple hours.

i've actually discovered exactly what is going on on my system that's been causing avast to gorge itself on my memory... i play Mafia Wars on facebook, and run a tool called "DoJobs", which scans through my friends list looking for people with open jobs to be done.  i run that pretty much constantly in a Chrome window.  every ~12 seconds, it makes a couple HTTP requests.  over the course of a day, that causes fits for v4.8.1335...

BikeHelmet

« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »
Well, what a day have I had!

Got a phone call today that my Mother's Laptop was having trouble. All the programs on it were randomly crashing with out of memory errors. Started sometime last week, but she thought it would go away. I went out there to diagnose the problem - I figured, maybe a virus got by Avast - but it turns out Avast is the problem!

Avast (ashServ.exe) is eating up about 80% of the available memory and pagefile. Can't even get a browser to open on that computer. I tried terminating it in task manager, and procexp, but it simply replied "Access Denied". Tried shutting it off, but apparently the GUI is disconnected from ashServ.exe. One ashServ.exe is using about 72KB of RAM and starts/stops just fine. The other is stranging everything and doesn't want to die. Tried disabling protection, and it allows the tiny one to be terminated. Great. Thanks a ton, genius coders.

None of the dumping stuff works because the protection won't go down. No way to start or stop the process. Can't even uninstall since the process can't be killed.

So, what's left? Reboot? Well that's not an option. Months back Acer's power management software started conspiring with a poorly written Microsoft hotfix to corrupt the registry almost every time a reboot happens. (but not Hibernation) So if I reboot to uninstall avast, I'm going to have to restore the registry so that it thinks Avast is still installed. I wonder how many errors that will introduce?

I guess I'm fraked. Time for an OS reinstall. Next time you coders put out memory leaking shit, think of the repercussions. If you aren't smart enough for a language like C, then use something like C#. Haha... AV in C#... really makes me laugh. But seriously, some quality control, please.

But my day isn't over yet. I get to reinstall the OS now. Maybe I'll just go with Ubuntu and avoid all future Windows™ problems.

-BikeHelmet

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2009, 08:40:34 AM »

out of curiosity, Mr. Vlk, the update that we are talking about is program update?or just an ordinary update?

thanks in advance.

harold

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #113 on: September 16, 2009, 01:38:24 PM »
out of curiosity, Mr. Vlk, the update that we are talking about is program update?or just an ordinary update?
As far I could understand, it's a program update (not a virus database, ordinary, one).
But today is Wednesday... they were not able to keep the schedule...
The best things in life are free.

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2009, 02:55:35 PM »
As far I could understand, it's a program update (not a virus database, ordinary, one).
But today is Wednesday... they were not able to keep the schedule...

thanks for the clarification.
maybe I dont have a choice but to wait for october for the release of avast v5, since until now, the update for my v4.8 didn`t come.
again,thank you!

harold

YoKenny

« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »
@hsobrevilla02

They have other things on their mind right now:
http://blog.avast.com/2009/09/14/moving-day

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #116 on: September 16, 2009, 03:27:50 PM »
@hsobrevilla02

They have other things on their mind right now:
http://blog.avast.com/2009/09/14/moving-day

thanks for the info!
now i would understand...

thanks again.

harold

popish

« Reply #117 on: September 16, 2009, 05:16:35 PM »
But they knew that. A move like that is usually planned for weeks at least.
So why say Tuesday, if they knew that they may not be able to do it in time.

That is what is bothering me about the whole issue - every program has bugs, that is acceptable, what is not right is the fact that first they don't respond, then they promise first one date then another. Now the second date has passed and they don't say anything.
How about a little "sorry, but" with a new date ?

The thing customers hate most is being ignored.

hsobrevilla02

« Reply #118 on: September 16, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
But they knew that. A move like that is usually planned for weeks at least.
So why say Tuesday, if they knew that they may not be able to do it in time.

That is what is bothering me about the whole issue - every program has bugs, that is acceptable, what is not right is the fact that first they don't respond, then they promise first one date then another. Now the second date has passed and they don't say anything.
How about a little "sorry, but" with a new date ?

The thing customers hate most is being ignored.

I understand your point my friend, but I guess patience is the answer.
avast! is a very good and free AV so as a free user(or customer) we`ll just have to wait for the fix(in this case,an update) since they are busy and MIGHT have miscalculated the time(correct me if I`m wrong) for the update release.
I think not only the two of us are waiting for this said update but many more users also(again, correct me if I`m wrong)
just my opinion.

harold
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 06:02:14 PM by hsobrevilla02 »

popish

« Reply #119 on: September 16, 2009, 06:40:13 PM »
Exactly - many people are waiting.

So when they saw that they are not going to keep the schedule - they should have said so. Just that.

I am not saying that the problem is being late - the problem is not saying it, not saying when.
Keeping us waiting, that's the problem.
It is a question of their attitude towards customers.

I have to keep watching this space for updates when I have far better things to do.